Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AVG PC Tuneup One Use or not?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Nov-2010, 10:11 PM #1
AVG PC Tuneup One Use or not?
Hi, i updated my free AVG 8.5 edition to the free AVG 2011 edition today, and noticed it had a PC analyzer, so I used it and it said i can run AVG PC Tuneup ONE time to fix these problems..

So i installed the AVG PC Tuneup and it detected 6000+ problems, and i fixed them all, and to test it out, i tried scanning and repairing again, and to my surprise, it still fixed the problems..

But didn't it say i would only get one free repair? Or is it because I am just using a free version of it? I don't really understand what the free one time use is if i can use it multiple times..
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,887 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Nov-2010, 10:20 PM #2
Quote:
Registry Cleaners

Many third party developers have produced automatic Registry Cleaners (such as RegCure or Piriform CCleaner's registry cleaner). The idea is that as unnecessary information including file extensions and references to software become obsolete, they cause the system's registry scanning to slow. Therefore these products will scan for and automatically remove such records, to help speed up your system. A lot of users use such cleaners as part of their regular maintenance. This is the wrong thing to do. Though the theory sounds very logical, in practice registry cleaners often do more harm than good. Many are misconfigured and remove necessary information, such as wiping the records used by Add/remove programs of what software is already installed. Their removal of unneeded records also causes the registry to become fragmented, causing greater slowdown than leaving the records in. Furthermore the good itself is often scarcely noticeable. It is a bad idea to consider such programs a part of your regular maintenance toolkit.
The above can be found HERE in the TSG library. While I haven't had personal experience with it, it sounds to me like you ran a registry cleaner. I could be wrong, but if this is the case, I would not advise running it again.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,397 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Nov-2010, 08:50 AM #3
That's the one thing that I don't like about the new AVG 2011 - the PC analyzer feature that includes a registry cleaner.

I ran it after the initial install to see what it does. When it finished running and I discovered that it wanted to fix several "registry errors", I closed it without allowing it to fix anything.

You're allowed to use it once, then you're required to buy it to continue using it. It's AVG's way of trying to get money out of you for using the free antivirus version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

akebono:

Avoid registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup programs like the plague. They do nothing to improve speed or performance. What they can do is break programs and damage the operating system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Account Disabled with 25 posts.

09-Nov-2010, 06:24 AM #4
Try some other antivirus software because AVG 2011 comes with registry cleaner which you can use only once and to use again you have to buy that so beware of it and try something else.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!