Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wierd folders which i cannot access

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Dec-2010, 06:21 AM #1
Question Solved: Wierd folders which i cannot access
After installing Battlefield heroes and punkbuster, I was searching through my files and found that I had new folders like: SendTo. I never had such a folder in my C:/users/Chris and the wierd thing is that if i try to open it this pops up!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(Click on the pic it will send you to imageshack then click on the pic again in imageshack and it should zoom you in)

also I have 2 new ini files called "desktop", the one file from my desktop contains a text "
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183" and other one says a looong text I'll just give you 6 lines
"[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799
[LocalizedFileNames]
eMachines Registration.lnk=@C:\Program Files (x86)\eMachines\Registration\GlobalRegistrationMUI.dll,-102
Enregistrement eMachines.lnk=@C:\Program Files (x86)\eMachines\Registration\GlobalRegistrationMUI.dll,-102
Registrazione eMachines.lnk=@C:\Program Files (x86)\eMachines\Registration\GlobalRegistrationMUI.dll,-102"
There are 2 ini files on my desktop, 1 ini file in each folder in my documents and probably more. They are all called desktop!

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop.

I am asking you, should I be concerned about these folders and files?
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

29-Dec-2010, 07:43 AM #2
Those files and folders are hidden system files, files which are needed by Windows for various tasks and are normally marked as hidden from user view to protect them. Most are also configured so that the user can't access them, as evidenced by your error message.
They have always been there and should not be removed.

The reason that you are suddenly seeing the files is that something (possibly one of the installs) has configured the computer to show hidden and system files. Take a look at this TSG library article for an explanation of what file attributes like hidden and system are.

To stop them from appearing follow these steps.
  • Open any folder.
  • Press ALT and go to the tools menu
  • Open Folder Options
  • Go to the View Tab
  • Check "Do not Show Hidden Files and Folders"
  • Check "Hide Protected Operating System Files"
  • Click OK.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

29-Dec-2010, 08:05 AM #3
Thank you that solved it
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
desktop, error, folders, ini, wierd

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!