Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ip address may be compromised

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Jan-2011, 05:29 PM #1
Ip address may be compromised
I think my ip address has been compromised, one of the accounts on my computer has strange things happening on it. The screen will change periodically, and items being sent from this account. how do I fix this and keep them from getting in again.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,627 posts.

11-Jan-2011, 06:09 PM #2
What strange things are happening to that account? You say the screen changed, do you mean the desktop wallpaper is changed ? What items are sent from the account, to whom, and how ( via file copy or are you talking about email ? )

Is that account an administrator account ? If so, then you're in big trouble. If it is standard / limited account, then you can backup all her files and delete the account. Don't do anything yet, however. I want to you explain to me what strange things happened.

And what version + edition of Windows are you using?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Jan-2011, 06:29 PM #3
Ip address compromised
The Screen was initially on facebook and jumped back to another website, emails have been sent to people and this has occurred while the computer is turned off completely. I will get back with you on the remainder of the problems.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,627 posts.

11-Jan-2011, 07:31 PM #4
Is it an administrator account?

What version of Windows ?
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jan-2011, 01:29 PM #5
Note that anybody can send emails from any machine purporting to be from any email address. I seriously doubt they were sent from your PC *while it was turned off*. If you have an online email account then it's possible somebody hacked into it & sent them from that account, but as I mentioned above that isn't necessary to send emails showing your address in the From header.

I'll let LunarLander handle the other issues-he has a lot more experience than I do. All I wanted to do was assure you that emails being sent as purportedly from you isn't an indication that your account has been hacked.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!