Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Security Alert when starting computer

(!)

Member with 134 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Jan-2011, 06:09 PM #1
Solved: Security Alert when starting computer
I turned my laptop on this morning, and updated Avira. I noticed once Avira closed that I had a security alert pop-up that said

"You are about to view pages over a secure connection.
Any information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed by anyone else on the web"

It then had a box to check so that the warning would not be shown anymore, a yes button and a more information button.

I clicked the information button and it just pops up with the Windows Help and Support page - Security and Privacy features in Internet Explorer.

I use FireFox and do not use IE at all.

I restarted my computer, thinking it had something to do with Avira, but it still popped back up and I dont know why.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jan-2011, 06:31 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzified View Post
I turned my laptop on this morning, and updated Avira. I noticed once Avira closed that I had a security alert pop-up that said

"You are about to view pages over a secure connection.
Any information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed by anyone else on the web"

It then had a box to check so that the warning would not be shown anymore, a yes button and a more information button.

I clicked the information button and it just pops up with the Windows Help and Support page - Security and Privacy features in Internet Explorer.

I use FireFox and do not use IE at all.

I restarted my computer, thinking it had something to do with Avira, but it still popped back up and I dont know why.
Do you know what the URL is that it is trying to take you to? Does it just pop up when you boot your machine or does it pop up randomly?
Member with 134 posts.

20-Jan-2011, 09:51 PM #3
I dont know what the URL is at all. It has either the OK button (not a yes button like I thought), or the More Info button. I clicked more info thinking it would at least tell me what site/program or give me some details, but it just showed the Windows Help and Support Page.

It popped up when my computer was started. I didnt notice it the first time, since I automatically update my Avira before doing anything, but once that closed, it was there. I have just turned my laptop back on after being away for a couple of hours, and it is on the screen again.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

20-Jan-2011, 10:02 PM #4
Try the following:

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security.

Uncheck the "Warn if changing between secure and not secure mode" box.
Member with 134 posts.

20-Jan-2011, 10:42 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post
Try the following:

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security.

Uncheck the "Warn if changing between secure and not secure mode" box.
Thank you. I did that, and it seemed to have worked. What a simple solution.

Is there a reason why it just started popping up all of a sudden, especially since I dont use IE at all?
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2011, 10:46 PM #6
It might have been checked a long time ago and Avira started triggering the Security Alert while trying to update at Startup. Just a wild guess...
Member with 134 posts.

20-Jan-2011, 10:48 PM #7
Sounds like a good guess. Thank you for your help.
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2011, 10:55 PM #8
You're welcome!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!