Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Keyboard locks up on boot-up

(!)

Member with 60 posts.

17-Oct-2002, 10:14 AM #1
Keyboard locks up on boot-up
Ok, so here's my problem. There is a time in the boot-up process of Win2k (and probably all versions) where you'll notice your keyboard (and optical mice) will blink their lights. I assume this is when Windows is either loading drivers for them or refreshing it's device list. Either way, occasionally, the system I am working on will flash the lights and the keyboard will have it's NUM LOCK light stuck on. When this happens, there is a 100% chance that the keyboard will not function for that session. Sure enough, when the login box appears, no keys work. The mouse always works flawlessly. If the computer boots, flashes lights, and the NUM LOCK key is not on, the keyboard functions fine. Any thoughts on this? Here's the system description:

Asus P4S333 mobo
P4 1900
512 MB PC2700
Promise FastTrack100 TX2 RAID card
Dual WD 80GB HDs
MS Internet Keyboard
MS Optical Mouse
Win2k SP2

This happens regularly on boot-up, but never within windows.

-=Zzed=-
Member with 911 posts.

Location: of the Grand and Distinguished Order of Lame Ducks (English Paddling).
17-Oct-2002, 10:20 AM #2
Hi zzed
Last time this imtermittent problem happened to me I had to replace the keyboard. Try plugging in another from a friend - if the problem replicates you may have a driver issue, but I would bet on it being a keyboard showing its on its way out. Can happen even with relatively new boards.

Mike
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Oct-2002, 10:21 AM #3
Is the keyboard connection secure......

Can you try another keyboard.......
Member with 60 posts.

17-Oct-2002, 10:25 AM #4
I will try swapping keyboards, but I do know that this problem has been occuring since the system was built. Age may not be an issue, but "crappy keyboard" might . I'd rather there be a problem with the keyboard than the mobo.

-=Zzed=-
Member with 60 posts.

17-Oct-2002, 10:30 AM #5
Truthfully, I may have swapped keyboards a while ago, but I don't remember. If I swap keyboards, and the same thing occurs on the different keyboard, what next course of action might you recommend? I have already reloaded the MS Intellitype drivers several times.

-=Zzed=-
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Oct-2002, 10:35 AM #6
Since the problem occurs before windows loads, it is definitely not a driver issue.......problem with the connector on the motherboard....sometimes they can be fixed.....but most often not.
Member with 911 posts.

Location: of the Grand and Distinguished Order of Lame Ducks (English Paddling).
17-Oct-2002, 11:01 AM #7
Oops! No, can't be a driver issue. Aca's right - as usual!

(I'll say anything to stop you unregistering me, Aca!!!

Mike
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!