Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

auto detect......entering power....

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: beginner / intermidiate
03-Jun-2011, 01:02 PM #1
auto detect......entering power....
Hello All, I have been searching around for a solution but am kinda stumped. I was on my Dell, Dimension E520 running vista, yesterday when the flat screen when to black saying “ auto detect analog input entering power save” and the system rebooted/restarted. I logged back in and it ran a few minutes and did the same thing. I played this game several times until I came back up in safe mode. In safe mode I changed energy settings several times, turned off the screen saver (I think) and generally poked at it. It stayed working in safe mode with no restart problems. I restarted in normal mode and the games began again. I walked away. At 8:30 PM I tried again. I when to bed…….. This morning same thing. I opened in safe mode and it has been running at least 3 hours. I do find the screen goes black with “the screen saver can’t run because it requires a newer video card or one that’s compatible with Direct3D. The point being, if I move the mouse the screen is still up. Most of what I have found on the net points to overheating, bad connections, bad video cards, if that is correct shouldn’t it happen in safe mode? I intend to take it all apart …I hate that……… blow the debris out of the desk top, and hit it all with contact cleaner. That is as soon as I don’t want to hurt it. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ?????
I am going outside now......Anybody current on electrical systems on lawn mowers?
ibizagreg ibizagreg is offline ibizagreg has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 249 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jun-2011, 03:16 PM #2
Cool 2 things
This might help: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/6...e-monitor.html

Also what graphics card are you running at the moment,

Post back and we''l try to help

Ibizagreg

03-Jun-2011, 06:15 PM #3
Thanks for responding Ibizagreg ,
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/6...e-monitor.html did not really fit my problem well. I know my monitor is working, I'm using it now in safe mode. You asked about graphics card, I have had system since 2007-8 and I don't remember, in safe mode I went to display settings and clicked the adapter tab and everything says unavailable or N/A, if I then go to properties it calls it a VgaSave but does say it is working properly.
I went back to the TSG profile page to run the program that would list my computer but couldn't find it.
Keep asking questions please. Is there a better place or way to ask my question?

Monitor randomly going to sleep ( 1 2)
Started by Dietomaha, last post 3 Minutes Ago by Triple6

15 186I posted at 12:02 and have 1 response and 52 views ??????

Terry

04-Jun-2011, 09:12 AM #4
To continue....... about 9pm I went to try something on the dell and found it dead - kinda - the flat screen was dead. the cpu must still be working to some level because the wireless router is needed for this oe to work. I have pulled the skin and used the canned air. Still stuff sticking so i am going to bring in a hose from the compressor. I would like to pull some of the pieces out and clean them but I am not sure if I can indiscriminately hit it all with contact cleaner?
so as soon as I "bump" this I am going for my air hose and antidepressants......
Terry

04-Jun-2011, 09:15 AM #5
bump
catlady13 catlady13 is offline catlady13 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

04-Jun-2011, 11:49 AM #6
If it happens in safe mode I would tend to think it is not a driver problem but a hardware problem. Check your temperatures. DO you have onboard video? Try using that and see what happens.
Please be very careful if you really want to use a compressor because they can blow hard enough to damage things. I use several small paint brushes (natural bristle so they don't produce static) to loosen things and then blow with a can of air. Be careful too to keep the can upright or you may get cold liquid. If that happens make SURE you let everything dry before turning the computer on again.
Are your fans all running as in video card fan and cpu fan?
Report back your temperatures and psu voltages and someone here can peek and see if they are well within limits.

06-Jun-2011, 08:48 AM #7
Hi Catlady13,
So is that how many cats you have? Sorry it took this long to get back. In short Sat. was in the yard & Sun. started at 5:30 cooking at the N for Prof. breakfast followed by 4-5 hrs on a chain saw helping a friend clean up after a late sat. tornado. Sitting on the far side of 60 I was not sure the fingers would work let alone what is left of the intellect. I will spend some time looking for the how to check temp. info today and let you know. I will also be looking for a site that is a little more old man fixed income friendly.
thanks again catlady, by the way the most we ever had (cats) was 5 after Dad moved in.
Terry
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

06-Jun-2011, 09:00 AM #8
Hi no, i only have one cat, but the name matches my email address and plain old catlady was already taken. http://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3...-10793486.html
Try this program. It is free. Oh rats. You can't boot. I forgot. Check your temps in the bios. Do you have onboard video to try? Also check your video cable isn't loose. Mine does that sometimes. Try reseating your video card. If you do get video remove and reinstall your video drivers. When you remove your video card clean the fan if it has one. Can you borrow a video card to try?
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

06-Jun-2011, 09:30 AM #9
I have been checking the documentation on that computer. I am not used to a lot of branded computers since I usually build my own, unless that is I am fixing a friend's computer. It seems it should have idiot lights kind of like on some cars. According to your manual they should be on the front panel. What , if any of them are lighting up. That might help us narrow things down a bit.
It is very kind of you to help your neighbour after the storm.
I live in BC, Canada and we don't get tornados here. They must be a nightmare.
Oh and does your computer usually do a post beep? In other words I am wondering if it has a case speaker that beeps to tell you it has passed post. If so does it beep when you turn it on? We need to determine if it is actually posting and booting or if the tower has run amok. No use trying to fix video if the tower really isn't posting and booting.

Last edited by catlady13; 06-Jun-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: too early in the morning and fogot to ask some stuff

06-Jun-2011, 12:28 PM #10
C L, I have turned it back on brought it up in safe mode and am now "talking to you on it. No beeps; I am under the impression it only has an on-board video card since the monitor plugs into what I would call the mother board. If I bring it up under "normal" it "spins and clicks" and then shuts itself off. last night when I tried to bring it up it said to "bring it up under self test so MS can check and fix problems" it said everything was working but still would still shut down if normal was used. I have tried to download "Core Temp by ALCPU" but can't; must be because i am in safe mode. I have no idea what posting is but I do think it is booting, it blinks through the normal stuff that goes so fast you can't read it unless you know where to be looking.
Thank you ever so much CL,
Terry

06-Jun-2011, 12:37 PM #11
Hey C L,
I have to go do some running before the next storm front blows in. I' check back as soon as I get in. By the way I was sad to hear only one, I thought you might be as goofy as Nancy (better half) and I. we have 4 rescue dogs and no sense. "It is very kind...help ..neighbor..." ya that's me, I'm just a warm wonderful human being.

06-Jun-2011, 08:52 PM #12
Catlady 13, Thanks for all your help... I have made an appointment for my PC to go see the Doc. If you are ever in greater Chicagoland I owe you a cup of coffee.
Terry
Computer Specs
Member with 840 posts.

08-Jun-2011, 12:50 PM #13
HI , and thank you so much for the offer. I wish I could have been of more help to you. I've been a bit busy lately as I am moving this month and it's been a nightmare getting everything organized. I was a bit worried I would have to go offline before getting your problem solved so in a way I am hoping this is the best for you. I wish I could be there and check things out for you hands on. That is always the easiest.
Good luck and let me know please how it goes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!