Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows doesn't see hard drive, BIOS does

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jun-2011, 07:00 PM #1
Windows doesn't see hard drive, BIOS does
Just like the title states, cannot see my second hard drive in Windows, but BIOS sees it.

I've been reading a few remedies, and not sure which would actually work with my situation.

First off, there is not an operating system on the hard drive in question, just files, mostly music and videos. It's an 80gb Western Digital IDE drive. PC is running XP SP3.

One of the first things I tried was buying a USB to IDE cable, but Windows still couldn't see it. I can hear it spinning though, so I know it's getting power. I was also reading how using the fdisk utility could help (not really sure how, all it does it create/delete/move partitions, right?) but I tried it anyways. I made an XP boot disk and copied fdisk.exe on it, but when I boot off it and type 'fdisk.exe' from the Command Prompt, it tells me I'm using an incorrect version of DOS.

I also read the possibility of using a program to repair my master boot record. Now, would that even affect my hard drive since there isn't an OS on it? Or is this on every hard drive, regardless if there's an OS or not?

Do I have any other options to recover the data? Besides paying costly amounts and sending it off somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,035 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jun-2011, 07:30 PM #2
Forget about FDISK. Does the drive show up in Disk Management? See here how to access Disk Management: http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm Don't do anything with Disk Management other then see if it shows the hard drive and what it says about it.

06-Jun-2011, 08:34 PM #3
Thanks for the reply. I went into disk management and it only sees my primary drive. Do not see the 80gb drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,284 posts.

06-Jun-2011, 08:37 PM #4
Try a different IDE cable and make sure the jumpers are set properly.

06-Jun-2011, 08:39 PM #5
I've already tried a few different ribbon cables, and the jumper is set to slave
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,035 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jun-2011, 08:45 PM #6
Have you tried it in another computer? You can run the WD Diagnostics to see if it detects the drive: http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...&sid=3&lang=en

Unfortunately if its not listed in Disk Management than data recovery software will not work either.

Do you have a backup of the files on the drive?
Member with 3,284 posts.

06-Jun-2011, 08:47 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstickredgti View Post

Do I have any other options to recover the data? Besides paying costly amounts and sending it off somewhere?
I'll be honest...It's not looking too good. You might have some luck viewing files on the drive with a Linux Live CD.

Like this one...

http://www.puppylinux.com/download/index.html

TSG stresses the importance of data backups for just this reason.

06-Jun-2011, 08:57 PM #8
I'll give the drive diagnostics a shot. Haven't tried on another computer because I don't have access to one at the moment. And yeah, I've also tried to see if it works in Linux, since I'm dual booting, but no success there either.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!