Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ram error?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

12-Jun-2011, 12:24 AM #1
Ram error?
Okay im new to this site and i need some help i hope i find it here.

Iv had an Emachines for about 4 to 5 years (still nice) running windows XP media center and now dual booting ubuntu. I needed to add Ubuntu because i had been given a gigs worth of ram from my cousin, i tried putting it in to my computer and i had already had 4 ram sticks in there all about 500 mb each, so i took one out and tried putting the new one in, it didnt fit but i didnt know that till the computer wouldnt turn on and the button in the front startd flashing, so i took it out and replaced it with the original one. it turned on like normal but now its slow. and im not picky with speed but this is so slow that my desktop will not load or if it does load with all the icons i cannot do ANYTHING, nothing will load, iv ran checks thru ubuntu and ubuntu can read all my ram just fine from all 4 sticks and runs at a good speed, but i cant live with a linux operating system, i just need my windows back please give me some ideas, i feel like windows isnt reading all the ram that i have.

whats your opinion?
Member with 8,537 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
12-Jun-2011, 06:43 AM #2
What is the memory count during POST? If your machine is not showing this on the screen during the power on self test, you might need to change your BIOS options. They call it different things in different BIOSes. You want to disable what some might call "Silent Boot".
Computer Specs

12-Jun-2011, 12:31 PM #3
Memory during post? During the sef test it shows all the accounted for ram. What's the silent boot? What does that do? I'm good with computers usually it's just when that don't wok that I have no clue
Member with 8,537 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
12-Jun-2011, 01:58 PM #4
Some computers have a setting in the BIOS that suppresses the display of power-on-self-test results, such as the finding of hard disks and testing of the memory, etc. Some refer to that as silent boot. If yours is showing you the memory count. It is already set for what some call Verbose.
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2011, 08:15 PM #5
How do I use this setting?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hardware, not functional, ram, slow, ubuntu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!