Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I know if I have installed memory correctly?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

12-Jun-2011, 11:18 AM #1
How do I know if I have installed memory correctly?
Dear Tech Support Guy,

I have a Dell Dimension E510, running Windows XP, and it came with 1GB of RAM. It was fine for a few years, but recently it began to freeze up, so I bought 1GB to add to it. Someone at Best Buy helped me find the right one to install. He said a PNY DDR2 (PC2-5300) 1GB would do fine.

So, I unplugged the computer, opened it up, installed the RAM (I think) and started it up again, but how do I know whether I have done everything correctly? When I go to Control Panel --> System, it still tells me I have 1GB. When I go to Accessories--> System Tools --> System Information, it seems to (may) say the same thing; it says:

Total physical memory: 1,024 MB
Available physical memory: 403.45 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB

I read that the first two on that list are the relevant ones, that Windows uses hard disk space for the virtual memory--is that correct?

I read also that if I didn't install it correctly, the system would beep, but it didn't. It hasn't frozen yet, so perhaps it is okay, but I haven't used it much since installing it, so I can't really tell. How would I know whether I have installed it properly?

Thank you,

TF
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,171 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jun-2011, 12:38 PM #2
If it doesn't show 2GB of RAM then its not installed correctly.

Make sure the RAM is fully seated in the slot, also note that there is a notch in both the RAM and the slot, those need to line up and the memory should click into place. If it still doesn't show up then remove the original stick and try just the new one.

Also note that a lack of memory does not cause a complete lockup; slow down yes, lock-up no.

12-Jun-2011, 05:07 PM #3
Assuming you seated the new memory securely in one of the slots, there is another consideration.

Installing memory in this computer's mobo may be a bit tricky. I believe you have four slots that require pairing of memory modules.

The recommended memory configurations are:
– A pair of matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 1 and 2
or
– A pair of matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 1 and 2 and another matched
pair installed in DIMM connectors 3 and 4
NOTICE: Do not install ECC or buffered memory modules. Only unbuffered, non-ECC memory is supported.
• If you install mixed pairs of DDR2 400-MHz (PC2-3200) and DDR2 533-MHz (PC2-4300) memory,
the modules function at the slowest speed installed.
• Be sure to install a single memory module in DIMM connector 1, the connector closest to the
processor, before you install modules in the other connectors.

How was the existing memory configured? a 512 MB module in connectors 1 & 2?

Did you add a 1 GB module in slot 3? This may be an incorrect way of adding memory. Check your service manual or call dell for more information.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

12-Jun-2011, 09:35 PM #4
In addition to the above, I recall some Dell computers display a message at power on that system memory size has changed, and you need to press F1 or F2 (I don't remember which) before the added memory will be recofnized.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 05:01 AM #5
Here is a link as to how the memory should be correctly installed.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1370145
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,302 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 09:55 AM #6
These are the 1 GB module specs for the Dell Dimension E510 - which supports up to 4 GB of RAM:

240-pin DDR2 PC2-4200(DDR2-533), Unbuffered, Non-ECC, CL=5, 1.8V, 128Meg x 64

240-pin DDR2 PC2-5300(DDR2-667), Unbuffered, Non-ECC, CL=5, 1.8V, 128Meg x 64

240-pin DDR2 PC2-6400(DDR2-800), Unbuffered, Non-ECC, CL=6, 1.8V, 128Meg x 64

It's recommended to install them in matching pairs.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 06:05 PM #7
Triple6, wolfworx, Frank4d, win2kpro, and flavallee, thank you very much for all that great information, the great link, advice, etc. I did indeed install it wrong the first time, with just one rather than a matching pair. I am going to go back and get a matching pair of one of those that flavallee mentioned and try it again. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

TF
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2011, 06:11 PM #8
Keep us posted on the outcome.

That motherboard has 4 slots for adding modules, correct?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 06:19 PM #9
Yes, that's right. There are four of them with two different colors of clips. Right now there is one module in the first slot from the bottom and one in the third slot from the bottom. I'll let you know how it goes.

Best,

TF
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2011, 06:30 PM #10
I'm assuming then that it currently has 2 - 512 MB modules.

Are you adding 2 more 512 MB modules to fill all 4 slots with 512 MB modules, or are you adding 2 - 1 GB modules to go with the 2 - 512 MB modules?

I'm just wanting to clarify for all of us exactly what you're trying to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 07:03 PM #11
Thank you very much for your interest, flavallee. Yes, right now it must have two 512 modules. Whether I add two more 512 modules or two 1 GB modules will depend partly on the cost. What do you think the difference in performance would be between adding two 512 modules versus adding two 1 GB modules?
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2011, 07:14 PM #12
If it already has 2 - 512 MB modules, adding 2 more 512 MB modules would be fine.

That would give your computer 2 GB of RAM - which is plenty for Windows XP.

If you want to add 2 - 1 GB modules to the 2 - 512 MB modules and increase it to 3 GB, that's fine too.

From what I can tell, there's very little cost difference between the 512 MB module and 1 GB module.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

29-Jun-2011, 11:09 PM #13
Hey, thank you for your help, flavallee, everyone. I installed 2 1GB of memory--because the store didn't have 2 512s--and it worked! It took a little more force to get them in than I expected, but it works. Thanks a lot; you were a big help.

TF
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2011, 09:45 AM #14
Thanks for advising us of the outcome and that you've successfully gone from 1 GB to 3 GB.

Yes, the modules do require a certain amount of force to firmly seat them in the slots and for the white locking levers to swivel up into the side notches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!