Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to use my backup disks

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 12:26 AM #1
Exclamation How to use my backup disks
OK, so i made back-up disks for my computer, i have a compact ...windows xp i believe? it was going to die, like it has done once before, so i saw the signs, and backed up everything and burnt it onto 4 disks. i used recovery manager to do so. then, i reset my computer to factory settings. so it was wiped clean, and i started from scratch. now i want to use my disks ands reload everything back onto my computer, but when i put a disk in it lets me veiw files but thats it. and if i veiw them, and then click on one, it says cannot open. and if i try to drag the items onto my destop or into a folder or anywhere, it doesnt work. its says copying but takes hours and doesnt move (the status bar) so it is obviously not working. i backed it uo for a reason and want my stuff back!! how to i do it? i also tried putting one of the disks in and then turnning my computer on and off, hopeing it would read the disk and open with the stuff, but it didn't.....

thank you!
Member with 8,552 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
13-Jun-2011, 12:48 AM #2
What program did you use to make the backup?

13-Jun-2011, 01:02 AM #3
ummm recovery manager? it popped up and i hit the make backup disks, then i made it of everything. it spread out onto 4 disks

13-Jun-2011, 01:07 AM #4
then after i did that, thats when i had to erase everything
Member with 8,552 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 01:18 AM #5
I'm not sure what kind of backup you made; but, it sounds to me like you used the HP/Compaq Recovery Manager. You may have simply made a set of system recovery disks. If so, what you made was simply a set of disks that allow you to restore your computer to its original factory configuration. It will contain none of your user data or any programs you added since it was new.

Set your computer's BIOS boot order to CD/DVD before the hard disk. Place the first disk in the set into your CD/DVD drive and restart your computer. If your computer has more than one CD/DVD drive and it fails to boot from the CD, try it also in the other drive. You do not need to run the system recovery; this is just one test that might tell us what kind of disks you have.

You most likely will get a screen advising that it will restore your computer to (words to the effect) original factory settings. If that is the case, then the disks are what I described above.

13-Jun-2011, 01:28 AM #6
yeah i did the reseting of the computer, and it does not read it. i only have one disk drive. and o NO!!! thats terrible..
Member with 8,552 posts.

13-Jun-2011, 03:23 AM #7
What are the names of the files on disk 1, including the part of the name after the dot.

You may have to change some settings in order to view the part of the name after the dot.
Click Start> My computer> Tools> Folder Options> View. Deselect "Hide extensions for known file types" and deselect "Hide protected operating system files". Click Apply and OK.

19-Jun-2011, 11:28 PM #8
Sorry, ok so when I put the disk in, i hit open files to veiw (its the only option) then it says "files currently on the disk", and the files are "0.wim." "1.wim" "2.wim" then it skips to "10.wim" then continues from ten going up by one number to "28.wim" then at the very end of the disk, there is recovery manager, two of them. one is "application" and the other is "configuration setting"

i burnt these disks from re-writeable DVD disks. Should i have used CD'S? Does it make a difference? it said burn succesful..
Member with 8,552 posts.

20-Jun-2011, 12:22 PM #9
Try accessing the files with a program called 7Zip:

http://www.7-zip.org/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
backup disks, how to use, restore

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!