Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Upgrading Packard Bell imedia

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jun-2011, 10:42 AM #1
Thumbs up Upgrading Packard Bell imedia
Hi there,
I currently have a Packard Bell imedia S3720 and I want to upgrade my computer power. I understand that as the imedia is a compact computer with a small motherboard I will need to purchase a larger casing. Basically what i want to do is 'slowly' upgrade my computer. If you could inform me of the easiest and most cost effective way of doing this that would be great. I need information about the types of processors, cases, motherboards etc that i will need to purchase. I am currently running windows 7 on my computer. Is there also a way to transfer my current operating system to my new 'updated' computer as I go? Thanks in advance,
Leon

------------------------------------
Computer details below:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3200 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1791 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 68557 MB, Free - 11250 MB; D: Total - 68606 MB, Free - 34257 MB;
Motherboard: Packard Bell, MCP73PV, ,
Member with 3,923 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2011, 07:40 PM #2
Start over. Seriously.

The largest portion of the computer must be upgraded together. The motherboard, cpu, RAM, as you already noted, the case, and a power supply.

If your current video is an actual video card, that can transfer over. If it's onboard video (ie: part of the motherboard), then you will need a video card as well.

Other stuff, can transfer over. CD/DVD, HDD, keyboard, mouse, monitor
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jun-2011, 12:29 AM #3
Thanks,
is there anyway of retaining my current Windows 7 OS when i go up to the new 'upgaded' computer?
Member with 3,923 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2011, 09:22 PM #4
No. The OS is tied to the hardware and in the case of an OEM PC, the OS is also an OEM version. Not too mention, you likely don't have an actual Windows DVD for reinstallation.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
15-Jun-2011, 10:20 PM #5
One of the cheapest and easiest routes to an upgrade which will allow you to use much of your current hardware is a barebone kit.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hardware, imedia, mother board, processor, upgrade

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!