Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop Monitor Issue

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jul-2011, 12:36 AM #1
Unhappy Laptop Monitor Issue
So my boyfriend and I both have the same Asus N90SV series laptop. We both have had major issues with our screens, which both turn grey with horizontal lines. I don't think it is related to the motherboard, as I am using an external monitor without any problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the video card overheating, as we have tried a laptop cooler and it didn't solve the problem.

The only thing that helped at all, and it only helped my boyfriend's laptop, was to clean out the dust from inside. But, when he did that he also made sure the video card drivers were updated. When he did those two things, his laptop was much better for several months, but the problem came back. We have tried cleaning the dust and updating again, to no avail.

The worst part is that it seems so utterly random. Almost all day today my boyfriend hasn't had it happen, and then for 10 minutes or so it kept happening. Now it hasn't happened in half an hour. Oh, and I forgot to mention how we "fix" the problem. Opening and closing the laptop eventually helps my boyfriend's. That used to fix mine, but, as I mentioned earlier, I gave up and got an external monitor.

All I got from Asus is that this is a known problem, but not prevalent enough to do anything for us. I was quite disappointed that it seems we just ended up with crappy merchandise.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what else we could try? I have thought it could be a loose connection of a cable going to the monitor or maybe we just have to get new laptops. I've been told that if it was a video card problem, the screen should turn black, not grey. So, that's why I haven't opened it up and messed with any cables yet. Thanks for any help. It will be appreciated.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
horizontal lines, laptop, monitor, video card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!