Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bugcode USB Driver

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Jul-2011, 12:27 PM #1
Question Bugcode USB Driver
So the title pretty much sums up my problem. It started a few weeks ago where I get that error message whenever shutting down or restarting my comp. I find that if I uninstall the USB drivers I can restart with no problems and then the drivers are re-installed. However, when I shutdown again I have the same problems.

Also, to make things more fun, when the computer attempts to shutdown it takes a really long time and when it finally restarts I get another BSOD with a different message.

I've included some dump files so I appreciate any information.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BeSODa dump files.zip (190.8 KB, 103 views)
Member with 3,853 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jul-2011, 10:28 PM #2
What is the STOP or ERROR code listed on the BSOD? (I ask as I don't read dump files, and there aren't many who do).
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
01-Jul-2011, 11:17 PM #3
I'm analyzing the dumps.

What about Safe Mode?
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2011, 12:53 AM #4
Most of the dump files point to usbhub.sys as the problem, but the system kernel is implicated in another. It definitely is hardware-related.

What happens when you boot to Safe Mode?
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2011, 08:31 AM #5
Whenever it crashes, I reboot in Safe Mode which seems to work just fine. It is from there that I would uninstall the USB drivers.
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2011, 02:20 PM #6
OK. Well, it is beginning to look to me like a RAM problem. I saw something similar when upper RAM was damaged. Things worked OK in Safe Mode, but it normal mode, when drivers were loaded to upper memory, the system wouldn't work. So test RAM.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
Roadkil's RAM Test
Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2011, 08:41 PM #7
So I did the Roadkill test and mdsched.exe test. There were no errors reported. Should I run any of the other tests? I also had another crash when shutting down, and the error code was Driver Power State Failure (or something real close to that). Windows locks up when I try to do anything with the dump file (I'm in safe mode). I'll restart and see if I can get the file attached for you.

I would like to thank you for your help. It's really appreciated! Edit: added dump files
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mini070211-01.zip (23.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by BeSODa; 02-Jul-2011 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: adding file
Computer Specs

03-Jul-2011, 04:58 PM #8
I would try the bootable memtest86 test and let it run all night or for a few hours. The other tests really only tell you if the memory works at that immediate moment and may not pick up intermittent errors, or errors that occur after the RAM has warmed up.

If it's a desktop, try removing a stick at a time and see what happens.

(The dump states "Driver_Power_State_Failure" and references the kernel. That's all it says since it is a minidump.)

Are there any broken or damaged USB ports?

Last edited by Elvandil; 03-Jul-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2011, 01:55 AM #9
Okay, I am having some issues getting the memtest86 to work...there is where my lack of computer knowledge hampers me. I downloaded the file, extracted the file in there to a folder and then burned the file to a CD. I assume I just restart my comp with the CD in the drive? It hasn't done anything yet.

I have a laptop so I can't take out the memory sticks, and I'm not sure if there are any problems with the USB ports. I've noticed a few times that a couple of them take awhile to recognize when something is plugged in, but that's about all I know.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2011, 02:21 AM #10
OK. I assume the file you got was an iso file. That is an exact image of a CD and can't be burned as a file. It has to be burned as an image.

If you don't know how, don't have the software, or just want to try something new, download:

Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.)

Just download it, unzip it, and click the exe. It doesn't need any installing. It will just ask for the location of the iso. Check the "Finalize" box, and burn away.
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2011, 11:23 AM #11
Whew, more difficulties. I downloaded the memtest, extracted the first file, used the program you suggested to to burn it, and restarted the computer. Nothing happened. The file that I extracted however, is a zip file as well, and within that file are a PDF document, folder, and two more zip files. I am correct in burning the first file extracted from the download right?
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2011, 11:51 AM #12
The file is this one:

ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows - zip)

Unzipping gives the iso file. That is the image that needs to be borned.
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2011, 06:00 PM #13
Alrighty, finally got the test to run. I let it go for over seven hours and no errors were found. What would the next step be?
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2011, 10:39 PM #14
That's a good question. Are you still around?
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2011, 11:03 PM #15
I am here now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!