Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HELP! "You Need To Format in drive D: before you can use it"

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: I know some but not a lot
08-Jul-2011, 12:00 AM #1
Exclamation HELP! "You Need To Format in drive D: before you can use it" Hard Drive Format,HELP!
HELP! "You Need To Format in drive D: before you can use it" "Do You Want To Re-Format it" And then my choices are "Format Disk" and "Cancel"

So here's the story,I have a Toshiba Tega Byte Hard Drive,USB. I have formatted it before to NTFS and it was all fine. Today I was on it and my younger brother picked it up. He un plugged it and that sorta first messed it up. Then I put it in and it wasn't showing up blah blah blah. I put it back in it finally works and it's all good,I have a camera and a SD card and I was putting things from the SD card into the hard drive. It paused and stopped putting the pictures from the SD card into the hard drive. It like froze and said "5 seconds left" and stayed there. I later just said forget it and turned off my Hard drive,My computer said error blah blah blah. I put it back it and my Hard Drive was named "Damian HD (D" and now it says "Local Disk (D" and giving me the eroor I posted up there ^
The error telling me I have to format and stuff! Now I don't know what to do and I think it will ERASE everything on my hard drive,I am not sure if it is true but I have been reading that if i do format it and stuff it will erase and remove everything on my hard drive,I dont want to lose the memory and things I had. I had MANY videos and pictures and documents and stuff I DON'T WANT TO LOSE! Things I worked EXTREMELY hard to get and make. So what can I do and how can I use it again WITHOUT REMOVING MY MEMORY ON IT. Please Help me! (PS. I also have a Mac and I used my hard drive to make sure everything is on it and it is. So it works on my Mac but not my Windows 7 SONY Vaio PC. Please! Some one help! I love my hard drive and I need to use it now!!! PLEASE HELP!

(BTW,I dont know again if I do click format will do good and not remove,Will it remove my memory on my Hard Drive? I need to be guided,Cause I don't even know if I click format,What I would be doing,But I don't want to take chances removing the things from my Hard Drive.)

Last edited by Code753cr; 08-Jul-2011 at 12:52 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 11,477 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2011, 01:01 AM #2
If you format the disk it will wipe out everything on it. If you can access the files connected to your Mac, can you copy them off to the mac? If so I would do that then you can format the disk then copy the files back to the disk from the mac.
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2011, 01:23 AM #3
I can't,My Mac is filled up! So now what? And formatting it,What does that do exactly? And Will it be NTFS? I hope I don't lose anything! I'm stuck and Don't know what to do!
How can I fix this? And why would this happen?
It was fine before.....
Computer Specs
Member with 11,477 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2011, 02:01 AM #4
If you format it before Backing up the data on the drive everything will be erased by the formating.
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2011, 02:13 AM #5
Is there a way I can overcome this or something? Is there a way I can just not format it and make it go normal.
I dont want to lose it all and I can't back it up! :'( My Mac has no more room.
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2011, 12:14 PM #6
Anyone help? I am still confused if I were to format it with my stuff backed up,What am I doing formatting it,How could it format it? Will it be NTFS?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
08-Jul-2011, 12:23 PM #7
All hard drives fail. It was just a matter of time before that one did. You need to back up anything that you want to keep, or say "good-bye" to them.

A file that is not backed up is a file you do not expect to keep.

Since the drive was treated badly and disconnected while still mounted, the file system has been damaged.

It will need to be repartitioned and reformatted. Find a place to move your files to and get them if you get the chance.

Try recovering files and your partition tables with TestDisk:

Testdisk (for Windows)

Even if you get access to your files, the drive will not hold data safely until repartitioned.
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2011, 04:14 PM #8
Ok and thank you and what would I be doing re-formatting it? Will it be NTFS again?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
09-Jul-2011, 09:45 PM #9
It will be NTFS if you format it as NTFS. It will then be a blank drive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!