Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"error loading operating system"

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2011, 05:34 PM #1
"error loading operating system"
A while back my friend dropped his laptop,(HP compaq mini cq10-405dx), and it stopped working. I told him the hard drive must have gotten messed up so we went to the store and i helped him pick out a new one. Now the problem I have is that when I start up the laptop I get a black screen saying,"error loading operating system", and since it's a mini I made an external CD drive so I can try to put windows 7 on it but I get the same error message. I also made sure to check the BIOS to make the external CD Drive boot up first. I have no idea what to do now to get it to work.

I would really apreciate any help anybody can give me
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Aug-2011, 06:16 PM #2
the fact that it was dropped its very possible that more than the hard drive got damaged.does this computer use a full size hard drive or a compact one?and did you put in the correct one and in the correct way meaning does it take a SATA or IDE hard drive.all laptops are fragile but mini ones are even more so because of their size.every time ive had to buy hard drives i have to go to a computer place that sells them because anywhere else they have to be ordered and not just bought off the shelf.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2011, 01:54 AM #3
thank you for you're reply, i found a way to fix it though. i bought a SATA to USB cable and hooked up the hard drive to my laptop and pasted windows 7 files on it and when i put the hard drive back on the mini and turned it on it started installing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
error, hp mini, operating system

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!