Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BIOS doesn't recognize USB?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 125 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Aug-2011, 04:47 PM #1
BIOS doesn't recognize USB?
I'm trying to boot from a USB so that I may install Ubuntu. My PC is the Dell Dimension 4600C and I checked their documentary; I'm able to boot up from a USB, although there's no option in the "Boot Menu". No, I do not have a CD/floppy drive that I can use. Would anybody happen to know why it won't boot up? The USB is formatted to FAT32 so I'm unsure as to why it isn't being recognized through the BIOS/Boot Menu.
Member with 3,844 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2011, 09:14 PM #2
It's not supported, not enabled, unsupported hardware, or the device is not formatted/configured to meet their criteria. If you have the documentation, I would expect it to list what is/isn't supported.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

19-Aug-2011, 09:37 PM #3
From the Dell site:
"Insert the memory device into a USB port and restart the computer. When F12 = Boot Menu appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press <F12>. The BIOS detects the device and adds the USB flash option to the boot menu.

NOTE: To boot to a USB device, the device must be bootable. To ensure that your device is bootable, check the device documentation."
Computer Specs
Member with 125 posts.

19-Aug-2011, 09:37 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddba11 View Post
It's not supported, not enabled, unsupported hardware, or the device is not formatted/configured to meet their criteria. If you have the documentation, I would expect it to list what is/isn't supported.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../en/H72280.pdf

Page 21.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Aug-2011, 09:48 PM #5
download the plop linux boot manager >> http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#intro <<
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!