Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Aug-2011, 07:02 PM #16
Member with 22 posts.

24-Aug-2011, 09:26 PM #17
Wow! Thanks for all the help guys! Means a lot
From the comments, it seems that buying a new psu would be a good idea.
My computer is a custom built one, i got it built in a shop. Ive had it for almost 4 years now.
Upgrading to the GTX 560 is my first upgrade. The funny thing about how they installed my cpu fan is that it blows into the psu outake fan? So having an underpowered psu can really cause heat problems...hmmm :/. I also only overheat while playing bigger games, such as Supreme commander or Bad Company 2. Computer runs warm while using the internet and playing smaller games like minecraft. Im unsure if i should buyi a fan for my case or getting a whole new one. Im a bit cash strapped at the moment . Does Newegg ship globally? Im not sure if it ships to my area hehe.
Thank for all your suggestions
Member with 22 posts.

24-Aug-2011, 09:51 PM #18
Quick update: I have no idea why, but my computer has started running even hotter! My cpus are now at 60, while just using things like Internet explorer. I really think it has something to do with the psu. Where it touches the case, is very warm! Thanks again for all the advice!
Ill try to get a new psu asap and get back to you guys! Im on my netbook until i can solve this problem! :/

Last edited by williamthehalo; 25-Aug-2011 at 05:57 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

25-Aug-2011, 06:22 AM #19
Probably the PSU is getting damaged. I would take the graphics card out completely, take out one of the RAM sticks for now and switch back to your old graphics card or put in a very low powered one for now such as the HD5450. At least then you will not be damaging your PSU further and overheating everything. Just run it simple for a while until you get enough money to buy the new parts.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Aug-2011, 06:26 AM #20
Explain this statement; "The funny thing about how they installed my cpu fan is that it blows into the psu outake fan?" Are you saying the processor cooler fan pushes air through the heatsink (front to rear) towards the power supply, or are you saying the the processor cooler fan pulls air from (front to rear) and discharges the air towards the power supply? In other words is the cooler fan mounted on the heatsink towards the front of the chassis, or is it mounted on the heatsink towards the power supply?
Member with 2,575 posts.

25-Aug-2011, 06:27 AM #21
We could do with an inside photo of this computer really just to see what sort of layout it is.
Member with 22 posts.

25-Aug-2011, 08:35 AM #22
I would love to switch back to my old card but i gave it away and i can't get it back, i guess that was a bad move. I only did that because i had no initial problems. I'm using my netbook for now. I'm not sure if i explained the cpu fan correctly. It blows into the psu thing,if that helps. Perhaps thefollowing images will shed some light, sorry for low quality, its my phone hehe.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc-image0015.jpg   Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc-image0016.jpg  

Last edited by williamthehalo; 25-Aug-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Member with 22 posts.

25-Aug-2011, 08:42 AM #23
Here are the other photos
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc-image0009.jpg   Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc-image0011.jpg   Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc-image0012.jpg   Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc-image0013.jpg   Solved: Gtx 560: Overheats my Whole Pc-image0014.jpg  

Last edited by williamthehalo; 25-Aug-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2011, 11:45 AM #24
The power supply is pulling air away from the cooler. The cooler fan should be EXHUASTING and the processor cooler fan should be pulling air from the front of the chassis and pushing it toward the power supply exhaust. It looks like to me the cooler is amounted 180 degrees from the way it should be mounted.
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2011, 12:15 PM #25
Proper chassis cooling is front to rear. Whether a power supply has 1, 2 or 3 fans they should all be exhausting air from the power supply.

In the pictures you posted the processor cooler fan is on the left hand side of the cooler when looking down on it. If that fan is pushing air forward (toward the front of the chassis) and the power supply fan is pulling air from the chassis an exhausting it, the power supply fan is counteracting airflow through the heatsink. If this is the case, you could turn the processor cooler fan 180 degrees so it is pulling air through the heatsink and that air would then be pulled by the power supply fan and exhausted.

A heatsink doesn't know the direction of the air, it just knows that the air must be flowing through it for proper cooling.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,916 posts.

26-Aug-2011, 11:41 AM #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamthehalo
Im unsure if i should buyi a fan for my case or getting a whole new one. Im a bit cash strapped at the moment . Does Newegg ship globally? Im not sure if it ships to my area hehe.
If you're strapped for cash then the PSU and case fans would be cheaper to buy and install on your current case.
Unfortunately, Newegg does not ship globally but only to the U.S. and Puerto Rico. You can, however, still get ideas from their site using their reviews and search for what you want in your area.
Member with 22 posts.

27-Aug-2011, 12:51 AM #27
Thanks for the advice win2kpro ill try those when i have some spare time.
I just got paid for my summer job (finally) so ill have some cash to upgrade my pc. I dont wont an overhaul, i just wanna fix the problem. I guess ill start with a psu and a case fan, thanks Spandexer
Computer Specs
Member with 11,916 posts.

30-Aug-2011, 10:54 AM #28
Good luck, mate!
Member with 22 posts.

31-Aug-2011, 10:47 AM #29
I am going to go tommorw! ive been really busy this week but i made time! my netbook that I've been using has also died, (hard drive failure) so i have to borrow a laptop to type this. I now have sufficient money for the new parts and i will do these things. i will test after each, and if it doesnt work will move onto the next one
1. Have the guy check for any problems and get the inside fans working (if they already a'rent)
2. Get a new psu (high quality one 750 watts?)
3. Get a pci cooler or case fan
4. get a whole new case
wish my lucks thanks for all the advice!
Member with 22 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 05:37 AM #30
Ok i went with my good friend today . Heres what happened:
He told my psu was sufficient, and although there isnt much information avaible online its a pretty good psu, just not a very mainstream brand.
The cpu fan is working fine and the front intake fans arent (but were unimportant he said)
When i tested it there (at the shop) everything ran cooler for some reason, but the monitor at the shop we tested it on was smaller at 1280x1048 compared to my monitor at home 1920x1080.
Right now the only thing that is warm is on the top of the case, near the psu.
It ran cooler before the graphic card upgrade, but is much cooler after adding:
2 8Cm Cooler Master Case outake fans.
What temperature is my cpu suppose to run? My coolest when idle 37, and gets up to 78 when playing. The graphic card runs 36 idle and 61 gaming. All temperatures are in Centigrade.
My computer overall runs much cooler now. I will now stresstest it more, and see what happens.
Any more incite to what caused m y heating problem?
Thank you all in advance
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphics card, gtx560, nvida, overheating, upgrading

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!