Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HDD problem?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Aug-2011, 03:36 PM #1
HDD problem?
Hi all,
I built my desktop a couple of years ago and I've run into various problems along the way, but this one is pretty hard for me to pinpoint. Occasionally, out of nowhere, my computer starts to skip and gradually falls into a frozen state, forcing me to hard reboot. I notice it first from the mouse, then sound, then it takes forever to close a window. I've done some googling and most people think that it is either a hard drive or ram issue. I tested my hard drive in dos mode with SeaTools( Seagate drive) and also did a memtest. The memtest said the ram was fine but the hard drive test failed without giving a fail code, it just notified me that the test could no be completed. Before I order a new harddrive and back up all my data, I was wondering if anyone thinks this could be a different problem such as bios or cpu. I noticed the thread about swapping mobos and not doing a fresh install of windows, which I have done in the past. It makes me wonder if that would cause this problem that I'm having.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 11,419 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Aug-2011, 03:44 PM #2
If it fails the manufacturers Drive Test (Seatools) I would say it is time to back up what you can on the drive and replace it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu, hard drive, lag, skipping

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!