Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setting Up The Extended Desktop With VGA Splitter Cable

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

06-Sep-2011, 09:11 PM #1
Setting Up The Extended Desktop With VGA Splitter Cable
OK, I have a Dell Optiplex 755 and on the back there is only one VGA video card port, but I am trying to connect two monitors and set one monitor up as the primary while using the second monitor as a extended view for the desktop of my primary monitor. What I have done is purchased a vga splitter cable with hopes of being able to set the monitors up the way I described above. First, I connected the vga male splitter cable into the vga video card and then connected one female cable end to a vga cable that is connected to a monitor and then connected the other vga female cable end into the vga cable for the other monitor. I noticed right away that both the monitors were on, but the display was showing the same desktop for each monitor. I don't want a duplicate of my desktop showing on another monitor I want to make one monitor an extension of the other monitor so I can have more room for my desktop. I tried changing settings in the display settings, but no matter what I do it just shows one monitor cloning what the other monitor has. When I click on identify it shows both monitors as being number 1. I have a feeling I am either going to have to add another vga video card or a dvi-d card? Can anyone explain to me why the vga splitter cable won't work?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,623 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Sep-2011, 11:44 PM #2
The only thing a splitter will give you is the identical display on both monitors; it won't work because its taking the single physical output connector and simply splitting it into two physical output connectors - it cannot be used to run two independent displays when the output from the video card is only a single feed.

You will need a dual port video card.

There appears to be 4 models of the Optiplex 755, the Tower takes a full height PCI-Express x16 video card, the Desktop and Small Form Factor versions take half height PCI-Express x16 cards, and the smallest ultra small Form Factor model can't take any card.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

01-Oct-2011, 04:07 AM #3
Yes, I support triple6. Monitor splitters only split the signal from a common video source. They cant actually show different things. Even though they require power, it is only to boost the signal.
Monitor splitter.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!