Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What HDD interface do I have?

(!)

Member with 72 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Sep-2011, 04:53 PM #1
What HDD interface do I have?
Okay right now I have a ST350041 8AS SCSI harddrive. My computer says that it failed. So I'm trying to figure out what Harddrive I can replace it with. Here is some further information.

Supported Standards ATA8-ACS, ATA/ATAPI-7, ATA/ATAPI-6, ATA/ATAPI-5
Specification Version ATA8-ACS rev 4

So does anyone know what kind of HDD interface I have and what Hard drive I can use to replace it? Because I have a few external usb hard drive sitting around that use SATA. I don't know if they will work.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,162 posts.

08-Sep-2011, 05:59 PM #2
When I search that part #, it comes up as a sata drive. It would help if you posted your system specs; ie exact make and model of the system you are using [if a big box system] If this is a custom build, then post the make and model of motherboard.
Member with 72 posts.

08-Sep-2011, 06:59 PM #3
Here is the system information

HP-Pavilion p6203w

Motherboard
System Board
Chipset nVidia MCP61
Base Board
Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION
Product NARRA5
BIOS
Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Computer Specs
Moderator with 62,633 posts.

08-Sep-2011, 07:10 PM #4
according to this, I get SATA as well.

What, exactly, is it you are trying to do?
Member with 72 posts.

08-Sep-2011, 07:20 PM #5
Well windows says the drive failed. So I'm wondering if I can replace it with one of the external drives I have lying around. So its SATA 2? Does that mean I can use any SATA drives?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 62,633 posts.

08-Sep-2011, 07:47 PM #6
If you have the OS install disks, any SATA drive will work. But the first place I'd start would be going to the HD's mfg and running some of their diagnostic tests.
Computer Specs

08-Sep-2011, 08:58 PM #7
Is this your system drive or is it a storage/data drive? If it is the system drive, you are going to have to have the install disks to reinstall windows on the new drive.
Member with 72 posts.

08-Sep-2011, 09:10 PM #8
System drive. Well the HP doesn't come with the discs. I'm using acronis to make an image of the drive. Would that be able to restore the drive?Or would I need specific drivers for the HDD.
Computer Specs

08-Sep-2011, 09:42 PM #9
You should be able to restore the image to the new drive without a problem. The only thing is that is your old drive was say 500 gig and your new drive is 750, it is still going to show a 500gig drive with the rest of the drive unallocated. This is not a big deal if you have win 7 or vista. They both have a built in partitioning ability in disk management. If you have xp, then you would need a third party app to extend the partition into the unallocated space.

Do not get a drive < than your current one since you will not be able to restore the image.

If you use a drive that has been used before, it is best to zero fill the drive or at least delete all partition info from the drive. Failure to do this can result in drive letter problems.

08-Sep-2011, 10:15 PM #10
If the current hard drive failed, how are you going to create an image?
Computer Specs

08-Sep-2011, 10:53 PM #11
Good question. I assume he received a smart error and that is why he wants to replace the drive.
Member with 72 posts.

09-Sep-2011, 05:04 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
If the current hard drive failed, how are you going to create an image?
Well for now I've just received the harddrive failure is imminent message.
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2011, 06:26 AM #13
If you clone the drive, it might be a better way to go than making an image/restore. Here is the reason; you have a hidden partition on your current drive. When you make an image and restore, you have this hidden partition also AND this will stop win7 from extending the system partition into unallocated space. You can still use a third party partitioning app however it makes for extra steps.

If you clone the drive, you have the option to keep current partitions sizes, keep the current percentage size of partitions, or resize partitions.

If it were me, here is what I would do;

1 Go ahead and make an image of your current drive and store that on an external drive, NAS, or whatever. It is always a good idea to have multiple copies of anything important.

2 Once done with the image, connect your new drive to an unused sata connector/pw lead. Now boot with the acronis boot CD and select source [old drive] and destination [new drive] In expert mode, you get the options I outlined above. In normal mode, it keeps the same percentage. Complete the clone process.

3 VERY important. DO NOT reboot with both drives connected. Shutdown and pull out your old drive. Now pw ON and make sure your new drive boots and drive letters are correct. If all is well, you are done. If not you always have your image you can restore.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!