Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Seagate 1.5TB External hard drive constantly clicking

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Sep-2011, 06:49 AM #1
Unhappy Seagate 1.5TB External hard drive constantly clicking
I purchased a 1.5tb Seagate external hard drive Christmas last year since then it has clicked loudly when writing or reading large files (it makes no noise when idle). The problem has been widely documented online as seen in videos such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgJe9R0QpmI. Although I have yet to see a solution that would fix the problem.

There is one video that I have found seeming to offer a fix but it requires quite serious dismantling of the drive. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1pEVjReNA)

Does ANYBODY know a fix from the clicking? I don't mind using the fix seen above if anyone can explain how inserting a piece of paper into the bottom of the drive will stop the clicking.

PS: Seagate refuse to acknowledge there is a problem with their drives and instead offers a replacement drive and from the research I have seen it is a pointless transition as they all have the same problem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,045 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Sep-2011, 02:00 PM #2
People have apparently fixed it by using better USB cables, a powered USB hub, updating the drive's firmware, or the method above.

My guess is that the enclosure has poorly soldered connections or there's a short occurring. Poor soldering on the connector/board could explain why changing the USB cable, powered USB hub, or changing the positioning of the connectors/board seems to work for some people.

Normally this clicking would be attributed to a failing drive, but this appears to be a case of poor design/quality with the enclosure.

You could also just shove the drive into another USB enclosure and trash the Seagate garbage.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
11-Sep-2011, 02:34 PM #3
Vantec makes excellent external enclosures around $30. Personally, I would spend the money on a new enclosure rather than go through the repair process. You will still have to open the old enclosure and transplant the drive, but I do believe the Vantec hardware is going to be more reliable.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
clicking noise, external hard drive, fix, seagate

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!