Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP not recognizing all the RAM I installed?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Sep-2011, 07:18 PM #1
Question Windows XP not recognizing all the RAM I installed?
Well I have a intel core duo 2.6ghz with a gigabyte g31m-es2l board that does support 4gigs of ram. I had 2 gigs of ddr2 pc-5300 ram installed and decided to upgrade to some pc-6400 ram and I stalled 4 gigs and under control panel system performance it went from listing 2 gigs to only 3 gigs but when I open pc wizard which tells you everything its telling me I have 4096 of ram installed, 2048 installed on both slots. Any reason windows is tell me i only have 3 gigs of ram? Thanks!
Member with 91 posts.

Experience: = What google tells me
14-Sep-2011, 08:02 PM #2
so wait the computer can only hold 4 gigs and you had four gigs before. Then you added 4 more gig giving it 6 gigs??? got to newegg.com type in (sry for big typeing.)
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Then go below the sign saying there are no results, click first link and then details link. Im also not sure what kinda video card you have but my card taks a large sum of the ram to its self. What you see control panel is probably only the amount of ram you can use.
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 08:06 PM #3
No I listed I had 2 gigs (1g x 1g) of pc-5300 ram and I upgraded to 4 gigs (2g x 2g) of pc-6400 ram. Windows control panel under system performance always said 2 gigs before which was dead on but now it only says 3 after the upgrade but pc wizard 2010 tells me i have the full 4 gigs.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,778 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 08:07 PM #4
If your OS is 32-bit, you will only see 3GB... you need to up to 64-bit
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 08:17 PM #5
Yup I did the winmsd.exe in the run box to see my system information and the x86 tells me i am running 32 bit but even under that it says I have 4096 of ram!
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

14-Sep-2011, 08:23 PM #6
Then you need to go to windows 64-bit OS to use the full 4GB, but that means you need to get a 64-bit processor
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 08:26 PM #7
So even under winmsd.exe system information and pc wizard can tell i have 4 gigs I can only use 3 gigs cause I have 32 bit xp? That sucks, if anything I should upgrade to windows 7 then
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,673 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 08:31 PM #8
A 32bit os uses a total of 4gig of ram, no more. This includes ALL ram ie video card, any ram onboard the mb, raid controller, etc, etc.

It is very common to install 4gig of ram and have 3~3.5 as useable.
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 08:35 PM #9
Awesome thank you. I'm not hurting anything by leaving in the 4 gigs right? I know only 3 are being used but I read to only install no more then 3 gigs but I always thought the rule is only install matching pairs like 1 and 1 and 2 and 2 never install like 2 gigs in one slot and 1 gig in the second slot.

14-Sep-2011, 09:18 PM #10
It won't hurt, just won't report in windows. If you do decide to go further (more than 4GB) in the future you will need go 64-bit
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 09:27 PM #11
Thanks, anyone know where I can get a cheap 64 bit windows xp let me know! I briefly looked its still around 100 or more, 7 is like 200 hmmmm
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,434 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2011, 09:41 PM #12
Windows XP x64 is best avoid, compatibility and support for it are lacking. If you want a 64 bit O/S then you should get Windows 7 64-bit.
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 09:43 PM #13
Thanks I just was, just started school full time and bought books I dont have 200 right now for the OS but will be looking into soon thanks!
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,806 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2011, 10:43 PM #14
Be sure your computer is compatible with Win7, click here to find out. Also check to see if you have 64-bit drivers for all your peripherals. That can be a real problem. You may also have some favorite program applications which may not be compatible with Win7 and/or 64-bit OS's.

Check all that out up front before making a commitment to Win7. Its a very different world from XP 32-bit, both hardware and software.
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

15-Sep-2011, 02:38 PM #15
Not sure to make this a seperate thread whats the best way to tell if I can run windows 7 64-bit? I dont see why I couldnt, my mainboard is compatible with 7
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!