Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer still slow and i have done everything!

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Sep-2011, 10:57 PM #1
Computer still slow and i have done everything!
Just thought i would share a little background info with you all before i post, I have been working on computers for the past 5 years and would call myself an expert in the area, but i have run across a problem that i cannot seem to fix.

The first problem that the computer had when it came into the shop was that the computer did not boot at all, no power. I quickly ran and installed a new power supply and presto it came to life. I did notice though however that the computer took FOREVER to boot, but the customer only paid for a new power supply so i ignored the problem.

A few days later i receive a call from the same lady explaining and blaming me, that her computer is slow when it wasn't before. I told her i would send a tech down and pick it up for further investigation for free. (gotta keep the customers happy)

When the computer was in the shop i took off the panel and checked the ram using a BOOT CD. RAM came back fine with no errors. I then proceeded to check the HDD for errors and that also came back clean with nothing physically wrong as well. I then started unplugging everything one by one to see if the system would boot faster...nothing, takes over 20 min for windows to boot and EVERYTHING was extremely slow afterwards.

I then Booted Linux from a CD and found that everything worked perfect! It was fast, responsive and performed very well! I then took the HDD and formatted everything and then tried installing Windows 7. Installation took over 6 hours to complete. Then...SLOW. Even by pressing F8 and selecting how to boot takes forever and when you hit the down arrow it's almost like it's refreshing by deleting all the words and bringing them back one by one with the option you selected highlighted.

I then Booted "XP MINI" from a Boot CD and again it was fast and responsive!

I also have tried multiple HDD's and still nothing.....

What's going on here!!!

Thanks,
Cody
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Sep-2011, 06:08 AM #2
Not enough RAM for full-blown Windows, certainly not Vista or Win7.
With the above versions, incompatible hardware could also cause extremely slow setup and starting.

I guess a minimal installation of XP is all that it can handle. If she wants to run Win7 it'll have to be a more powerful system.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,546 posts.

16-Sep-2011, 08:59 AM #3
I don't see anywhere in your comments the specs of that computer and if it came with Windows XP, Vista, or 7.

I'm guessing it came with Windows XP.

--------------------------------------------------------

16-Sep-2011, 11:14 AM #4
Ooops sorry about missing some information...

The computer right now has 3 GB of RAM and is still slow on start up. The computer originally came with Vista, but i didn't have any more license keys so i had to install windows 7.

The computer is a HP Pavilion a6700y

Processor

• Type AMD Phenom 9150e quad-core 9150e / 1.8 GHz
  • Multi-Core Technology Quad-Core
  • Installed Qty 1.0
  • Upgradability Upgradable
RAM

• Installed Size 4.0 GB / 8.0 GB (max)
  • Technology DDR-2 SDRAM
  • Memory Specification Compliance PC2-6400
Storage

• Hard Drive 1.0 x 500.0 - Serial ATA - Serial ATA - 7200.0
Optical Storage

• Type DVDR (R DL)
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2011, 02:12 PM #5
It has a quad core processor and 4 GB of RAM, so that's definitely not the cause of the slowness.

I don't understand it taking over 6 hours to format the hard drive and do a clean install of Windows 7. It should've taken between 1 - 2 hours.

Do the following in the order listed.

Go to Control Panel - User Accounts - Change User Account Control Settings.

Move the slider down to "Never Notify", then click OK.

Restart the computer.

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

16-Sep-2011, 03:11 PM #6
Please keep in mind that a "Virus" or Windows settings are not the cause of the problem. I have tried installing a "Brand New" HDD into the computer and tried installing windows 7, and windows vista, and i still receive the extreme slowness during and after the installation.
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2011, 03:21 PM #7
I'm just wanting to see what's installed and what's auto-loading and if any obvious issue(s) is present.

Your computer may very well have a hardware issue - which wouldn't show on a HiJackThis log.

16-Sep-2011, 03:51 PM #8
Any ideas on what type of hardware would cause this problem? I have pretty much tested everything in the computer and they were all working OK.

Thanks,
Cody
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2011, 04:03 PM #9
Nope, I sure don't.

-------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,250 posts.

16-Sep-2011, 05:05 PM #10
Have you swapped the hard drive's data cable? Or swapped to a different SATA port on the motherboard? You can also try clearing the CMOS via the jumper to reset the BIOS settings fully to its defaults.

Also since the power supply was changed at the start of the issue, try swapping in another power supply(preferably a different model).

17-Sep-2011, 12:15 PM #11
Thank you soooo much Triple! I reset the bios and everything is working great!!! So many problems with one simple fix

Thanks again!
Cody
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!