Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP Slimline won't turn on

(!)

Member with 20 posts.

18-Sep-2011, 10:44 PM #1
HP Slimline won't turn on
Hi, I have HP Pavillion Slimline s3500f that is about 5 years old. Recently it won't turn on! The light in the back is on, but the whole thing won't power up. Once it powers up - everything runs smoothly-except that since that problem with turning on started-sometimes it would seem like it was turned on-but it didn't really come on on the monitor- so I had to unplug it and start again. It would become like that also when it was on for a longer period of time - like 3 hours or more..

I googled the problem and made sure cord and power strip are okay, I switched voltage selector red butten to and fro, I even opened it up and removed a lot of dust from the fan..still, it won't power up. It happened gradually, at first it took a few trials and then it would turn on, but for the past 3 days nothing works.
So I am thinking about replacing the power supply myself to save cost.

Before I do, I just want to make sure that I am on the right track; I mean if the green light in the back is on - but the pc won't turn on - it should be most likely power supply, am I correct?

The other problems that I mentioned in the 1st paragraph - do they also look like power supply-related? If it seems like something else besides power supply, then probably I should forget about fixing it. I have some data on this pc that I would like to get back - or somehow transfer to another computer...Just wondering, is it the end of it ...or should I try to revive it? Slimline overheat a lot and this one was no exception, but generally it was working fine-so far.

Your advice would be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,473 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Sep-2011, 10:59 PM #2
You could always take the hard drive out iand install it in another computer to retrieve the data you want. A slim line computer would likely take a power supply that is smaller than a standard ATX Power Supply, so replacement withone that will fit the case may be expensive.
Member with 20 posts.

19-Sep-2011, 01:12 AM #3
Thank you for your reply. After I read it, (I am rather ignorant in these matters) I had an idea to try to connect this old hp Slimline that won't turn on to my laptop - maybe I will be able to see the files from there through laptop ? maybe it works like a flash drive?

So I connected my old pc (that won't turn on) through usb cable to laptop and checked on the laptop if it shows there but it didn't. On the other hand, I noticed that when I plugged/connected the 2 computers, the power button on the non-turning-on Slimline lit up! It didn't lit up green- it lit up orange - but something happened. So...I pressed the power button - and - the slimline TURNED ON!!! wow! first time in 3 days! So I have been copying pictures to DVDs...
What happened there? I mean that it somehow came to life after I connected that USB cable to it? maybe I can re-animate it like that every day ?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
power supply dead?, slimline, to fix or buy new one

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!