Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop won't turn on

(!)

Member with 32 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Sep-2011, 12:51 PM #1
Laptop won't turn on
Well, I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop and bought it 2 years ago.
It has a Intel Dual Core 2.1 ghz, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hard drive, windows 7 home edition (upgraded after receiving CD), etc.
My motherboard model is D177M.
My situation is that I am studying abroad currently in France and I went away for a weekend trip to Paris. I came back from my trip to my room at Metz, France and tried to turn on my laptop (which was plugged in the whole time) and it wont turn on.
A quick flash of light (approximately less than a second) appears on the screen but than nothing happens after.
Any help? Thank you
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

20-Sep-2011, 01:06 PM #2
From the Dell manual....

"The Studio1555/15 is offered with an option of a 65 W or 90 W E-Series AC adapter. Dell also offers a 65 W auto air AC adapter.
Unlike conventional adapters, the power light of the AC adapter is located on the adapter barrel itself.When the adapter is connected, the LED on the adapter barrel lights up in a steady blue color."

Is the adapter lit up? Are the voltages in France compatable?
Are any other indicator lights lit up on the laptop?
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,690 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Sep-2011, 01:06 PM #3
I would guess a power supply problem or one with the motherboard.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

20-Sep-2011, 01:08 PM #4
One more thing...pull the battery and see if the laptop runs with just the AC adapter connected.
Member with 32 posts.

20-Sep-2011, 01:11 PM #5
Yes. I have checked the AC adapter and the voltages ranged from 110-220, which included France's voltage.
The light that indicates the laptop is "being charged" flashes really quickly, just like my screen.
Member with 32 posts.

20-Sep-2011, 01:13 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUEOHIO View Post
I would guess a power supply problem or one with the motherboard.
That would be horrible
but is the internal power supply a whole different component from the motherboard or are they "one-piece"?
Member with 32 posts.

20-Sep-2011, 01:14 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkupy View Post
One more thing...pull the battery and see if the laptop runs with just the AC adapter connected.
Yes. I have tried that. I have tried to turn it on with just the battery, with just the ac adapter, and with both.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

20-Sep-2011, 01:24 PM #8
You say the adapter light is NOT on steady? It should be weather the bat is charging or not. Any way you can put a volt meter to the tip of the AC adapter and check for a steady voltage?
Cybershaman Cybershaman is offline Cybershaman has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 109 posts.

Experience: IT/"Computer Guy"15+y exp
20-Sep-2011, 01:45 PM #9
Hey, there j723n91! (Good lord... Are we really "there" already? A la THX-1138? hehehehe... Anyhoo...)

I recently ran into a similar problem with a friend's laptop. It turns out that, even after doing all of the things like what people have recommended so far, you might just have to go out and get a new battery. Apparently, a laptop will get "stuck" in a certain mode that no amount of various "hard resets" will fix. All of the symptoms you mentioned are the same things that I ran into and subsequently beat my head against a wall for a couple of days about.

I don't know if you are able to find a shop that will let you "test" out a new battery before purchasing it, but that is my only advice for now. Take care and good luck!

Last edited by Cybershaman; 20-Sep-2011 at 01:56 PM..
Member with 32 posts.

20-Sep-2011, 02:06 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybershaman View Post
Hey, there j723n91! (Good lord... Are we really "there" already? A la THX-1138? hehehehe... Anyhoo...)

I recently ran into a similar problem with a friend's laptop. It turns out that, even after doing all of the things like what people have recommended so far, you might just have to go out and get a new battery. Apparently, a laptop will get "stuck" in a certain mode that no amount of various "hard resets" will fix. All of the symptoms you mentioned are the same things that I ran into and subsequently beat my head against a wall for a couple of days about.

I don't know if you are able to find a shop that will let you "test" out a new battery before purchasing it, but that is my only advice for now. Take care and good luck!
Oh hey. So what type of laptop was it? and do you know how it came about?
also, so yours had a quick flashing light but wouldnt turn on either?
Im glad I posted on this forum cause I feel like Im getting good feedback and possibly save ALOT of money~
Cybershaman Cybershaman is offline Cybershaman has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 109 posts.

Experience: IT/"Computer Guy"15+y exp
20-Sep-2011, 03:22 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j723n91 View Post
Oh hey. So what type of laptop was it? and do you know how it came about?
also, so yours had a quick flashing light but wouldnt turn on either?
Im glad I posted on this forum cause I feel like Im getting good feedback and possibly save ALOT of money~
You know what? I don't remember the exact make and model! (I can call my brother-in-law if we need to go deeper) However, it was about the same age and thus just possibly might have well been the same or similar "mother board" that you have. I worked on it for a couple of days and then handed it to another (and better. I am not adverse to eating humble pie!) who also beat his head against the wall for a few of days (we tech nerds have skull ridges like Klingons. ) until he stumbled upon the new battery solution.

I want to make this clear: if you are able to, do try out a new battery. I do NOT want you to go out and buy a new battery only to find out that your machine still doesn't work. I don't know where you are right now, but if you can find a shop somewhere that will let you try one in the off chance that it will fix you, do give it a try. I don't see why a shop wouldn't let you do that since, well, it would mean that they will more than likely make a sale!

Having said all of that, YES, you came to the right place! I am a disabled former "I.T. Guy" who hangs out here in order to stay up on my "game" as much as I can. Everyone here is super cool. Even if you say something wrong everyone will just gently tell you otherwise. We all have the same passion and all wish everyone's machines work great. After all, computers are sometimes kind of like a Rubik's Cube! It's so satisfying to solve problems; not only that but it's awesome when you see somebody say "hey! that fixed it!" and then see them mosey on down the Internet Superhighway. With that in mind, I HIGHLY encourage you to come back and let everyone know what it was that fixed your problem. That is, if you are able to get it fixed!

I wish you luck and again, always come back to "The Tech Guys" for friendly help that wont make you feel stupid. ALL of us have had a problem at one time or another that stumped us. Take care and keep us posted!

Rock on...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dell studio 1555, dell studio 1555 problems, motherboard dead?, wont power up

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!