Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Compaq Presario cq50-215nr Help. Basic.

(!)

Tomcycle14 Tomcycle14 is offline Tomcycle14 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Sep-2011, 12:45 AM #1
Compaq Presario cq50-215nr Help. Basic.
So, I'm in a pretty weird situation. I got this laptop, Compaq Presario cq50-215nr, and it won't turn on. I got it from a friend, they have no clue what's wrong. They have no cords, they have nothing, don't ask why. So, I have no background information on it, they only thing I have is the actual laptop. As I said earlier, it won't turn on and I don't know why. Is there anyway to check for simple things with spending little or no money. And I don't want to open the actual laptop. I am attempting to fix it without lots of money going into it. So pretty much is there a way to check if any hardware is fried, or just the battery is dead? I need help, any help helps. Reply with help or if you need more information. (Remember, I don't know any background information or have any cords/manuals.) Thanks.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Sep-2011, 12:52 AM #2
Your going to need this if you want to see if it runs or not. Or, you could take it to a local Mom & Pop computer store and see if they can check it out for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presari.../dp/B004K52JBY

More info:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3795238
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 12:55 AM #3
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 01:01 AM #4
That's up to you. Your second choice looks better than the first choice which does not include the other part of the plug in.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 01:10 AM #5
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 01:24 AM #6
Alright, thanks. I guess I'll give it a shot if no one else has any ideas. Also, thanks for pointing out which one to get, I probably would have got the wrong one. Thanks.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,900 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Sep-2011, 01:31 AM #7
Tomcycle14,

As captainron276 has suggested, you'll need a power cord before you anything else with the laptop.

The battery could be perfectly fine, but we wouldn't know if it needs to be charged.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,871 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 01:31 AM #8
Does the laptop have the battery too?
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 01:32 AM #9
Ok, thanks everyone. Yes, Couriant, the laptop does have a 6-cell battery.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

28-Sep-2011, 01:50 AM #10
OK, then with the power cord you should be good to go... but the battery may not sustain a charge if it's not been used correctly. Batteries can cost about $30-50 depending where you go if needed.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 01:57 AM #11
Couldn't I just keep it plugged it in at all times, I know it sorta defeats the purpose of a laptop, but that works, right?
(Side Question: Does a laptop need a battery plugged in for it to run? Can you keep it plugged in the wall without a battery? Or does it need a battery no matter what? It has a battery, I was just wondering)

28-Sep-2011, 02:01 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcycle14 View Post
Couldn't I just keep it plugged it in at all times, I know it sorta defeats the purpose of a laptop, but that works, right?
(Side Question: Does a laptop need a battery plugged in for it to run? Can you keep it plugged in the wall without a battery? Or does it need a battery no matter what? It has a battery, I was just wondering)
No. You can have either/or. If you are in a position to use the AC Power, then you should as battery life can be between 2-5 hours, depending on a few things. Only use battery if you are not able to use the power cord. The battery will charge and stay charged while AC is plugged in, so you can keep it in there. Just be aware the battery life may be lower depending on how it was treated. You will know straight away if the battery is bad (won't last 5 minutes if it's bad)
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 10:19 PM #13
I am about to order this charger, and I want to make sure it will work/fit. The picture up top doesn't look right, but the picture in the description does. Again, I have a Compaq Presario cq50-215nr, and the post says just Compaq Presario cq50, no 215nr. Is 215nr just more specific, and I'm assuming won't affect the plug. And does this post have everything I need, from the wall to the "box", to the laptop? I'm just not that great with computers and I'd hate to buy it then have to buy more or get a whole new one.

I'm buying this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPAQ-Presa...#ht_9855wt_932

Last edited by Tomcycle14; 28-Sep-2011 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Forgot the link.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

28-Sep-2011, 10:33 PM #14
I would go to the ebay auction and ask the seller those questions you have, I'm sure he will answer you in a timely manner

I have asked the seller if this is the correct unit. Will let you know what he says.

Last edited by captainron276; 28-Sep-2011 at 10:41 PM..

28-Sep-2011, 10:37 PM #15
CQ50 is the series the -215NR is the specific model... compaq/hp has about 5 different models within a series, sometimes more so that one should have no problems.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
broken, compaq, fix, hardware, software

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!