Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Diagnosing PC

(!)

Member with 66 posts.

03-Oct-2011, 02:52 AM #1
Diagnosing PC
okay guys, I'm very unlucky here. This problem has been for a while now, but now is the only time I could ask for help. I recently built a new rig, only HDD and Power Supply were recycled, but I don't know myself how reliable my PSU is.

First things first, the specs of my computer.
Code:
 MSI GD70 Motherboard 
AMD x4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz (untouched non oc) 
G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2x2GB ram sticks (1333) 
Sapphire Xtreme HD5850 GPU 
OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU (bought used)
 Coolermaster hyper 212 plus
Okay, my first encounter with a problem was when I was moving my rig around, I guess the power cable to my PSU was loose, my computer turned off. So I turned it back on and I believe I had an error sound coming from the motherboard when I started it up. No display was showed and my first reaction was something in my rig had been short-circuited. My rig can run on HDMI wires fine, but DVI does not work. What is weird is when I use a VGA cable and use a VGA-DVI converter to plug into my GPU, it works fine. The problem now is that I lag in game a lot, meaning its noticable.

The problem does not stop there. My case is a CM HAF 912 so the top of my rig is open. Being the idiot that I am, I spilled water and it leaked inside and my computer shut off. I was peeking inside the rig and my GPU was right in the middle of where the water would pour down. I removed the GPU from my rig and let it dry out for 2 days, I put it back in and it works fine. What is the first thing I should do at this point? My 30 day warranty is gone from NCIX and I built it myself so it does not come with warranty after 30 days. Thanks guys, i know its a lot to read and i really do appreciate the people who take the time to read all this, thanks again very very much!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

03-Oct-2011, 08:27 AM #2
The biggest danger in spilling liguids into a PC (excluding the power supply) is galvanic corrosion that occurs when parts are still wet and power is turned on. You can do a visual inspection to see if this has occurred by looking at the soldered connections for a powdery substance that is usually black, yellow, orange, or green. If you don't see this, and it is working you may be OK.
Member with 66 posts.

03-Oct-2011, 12:08 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4d View Post
The biggest danger in spilling liguids into a PC (excluding the power supply) is galvanic corrosion that occurs when parts are still wet and power is turned on. You can do a visual inspection to see if this has occurred by looking at the soldered connections for a powdery substance that is usually black, yellow, orange, or green. If you don't see this, and it is working you may be OK.
thanks for your reply! do you mean inspect the GPU or the whole computer ?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

03-Oct-2011, 03:13 PM #4
I guess only the GPU if that is all that got wet.
Member with 66 posts.

09-Oct-2011, 02:01 AM #5
okay, so i bought a new video card 6850 and the dvi still doesn't work so i guess its the monitor, well i know its the monitor because it works on my dads monitor. The detail changed a lot but im still noticing unsmoothness while i play battlefield 3 beta, what could be wrong ? Could me using a VGA cable to the DVI plug be the problem? or could it be hardware ?
Member with 3,701 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Oct-2011, 03:57 AM #6
First, the obvious...battlefield 3 BETA

Second, video drivers. Not too mention any number of other hardware/software/drivers issues related to a game/software in Beta.

So, issues with a game in beta aside, are there any other noticeable issues?
Member with 66 posts.

09-Oct-2011, 11:53 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddba11 View Post
First, the obvious...battlefield 3 BETA

Second, video drivers. Not too mention any number of other hardware/software/drivers issues related to a game/software in Beta.

So, issues with a game in beta aside, are there any other noticeable issues?
I also play games like Need for Speed World and it is laggy as well, it might be my broadband internet though, i called in my ISP and they scheduled someone to come to house because my ISP told me my modem signal is unstable, or something like that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!