Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dying OS HDD, need advice for transferring data

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Oct-2011, 10:45 PM #16
Then how will it know to only use 2TB out of the 3TB on the new drive?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
15-Oct-2011, 10:55 PM #17
You will choose the new partition size in the cloner.

Or, clone the exact partition and then expand the partition with gparted in Parted Magic to fill the 2 TB's.

Or clone the partition and make a second 1 TB drive. If you keep your data on a second drive, it will be easier to back up both of them because they will be smaller, you'll have all your data together, and the drives will run chkdsk and defrag faster.

That can all be decided and changed later, too, so it does not need to be done or decided right now. Just pop in Parted magic later and shrink your big partition, if you choose.

I believe that Parted Magic's help is all online. So if you want to connect to the internet while using it, connect your intenet to a wired network card. Parted installs most cards automatically, but does not have drivers for the many wireless cards out there.

Click image for Parted Image screenshots:

Last edited by Elvandil; 15-Oct-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Oct-2011, 11:05 PM #18
Alright! I saw you edited your post to add the information I asked for, sorry if I was too quick! I will try that ASAP and let you know how it went! Thanks a lot for all the help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
15-Oct-2011, 11:19 PM #19
OK. Good luck.

Be sure to check the "Extras" menu on the Parted Magic boot screen. You could even make that now and boot your machine with it. Unplug your drive from power so it doesn't run any more than necessary. Or you could now copy the most important files you wnt to save to a USB drive or burn them to CD or DVD with the burner program in PM.

Parted Magic will fix or recover just about anything that can go wrong with any computer. It has tests for hardware. About all it can't do is replace damaged Windows files (pretty rare, anyway). It even has a registry editor that can be added to it.

Clonezilla is on this CD, too.

Last edited by Elvandil; 15-Oct-2011 at 11:32 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,182 posts.

16-Oct-2011, 09:16 AM #20
Just returned from work. It looks like elvandil has answered your questions regarding booting with that drive. It is only the latest mb that support the new uefi type bios that will allow booting with the full 3tb.

I second the use of parted magic; I use it for all types of drive tasks. It is especially good for secure erasing of drives.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
harddrive, operating system, transfer data

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!