Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer soft resets 5 times then hard resets (+repeat)?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 294 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Oct-2011, 05:35 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Computer soft resets 5 times then hard resets (+repeat)?
Hey guys! So, I wanted to disconnect 7 of my server's HDDs and leave one connected. I pulled the power and SATA cables, then turned it back on and put the boot CD I wanted to use in. Straight away, I noticed the strange behaviour, and I got no picture.

The computer resets 5 times (I can tell from the sound the CD Drive makes each time the computer resets), then it completely turns itself off. Fans and drives spin down. About a second or two later, it turns itself on again and repeats the process.

I knew disconnecting the drives wouldn't effect the BIOS like this, but I tried connecting all the drives back up so the machine was as it was before anyway. Same problem.

It seems that in the simple process I have bust something, but what could it be? With no BIOS or way to boot into a live CD, I can't tell what's broken. I tried googling my only evidence (the restarting), but found nothing.

Update: It looks like it was the RAM. I've never bust RAM before, but there's a first time for everything! I'll let you know if I get everything working okay again. At the moment, I'm in the BIOS. So it's looking fixed....

Last edited by Obinice; 15-Oct-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 294 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Oct-2011, 06:06 PM #2
Jesus H. C. Christ.

So I tested both RAM sticks to see which one was busted. I put the first one in, and it booted.

I put the second one in, and it booted. WTF.

My new theory? Somehow the RAM had come loose, and I gave it that extra knock out of place when I fiddled with the HDDs. Looks like all they needed was a nudge back in place.

At least, let's hope that's the case, and not that the RAMs working now, but will crash the system when it feels like it!
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Oct-2011, 10:00 AM #3
you got lucky! i had this same problem with my PC, but it turned out to be a bad capacitor next to the cpu. Had to send it in and wait about a month to get it back :/. Glad you got it fixed
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bios, hard reset, soft reset

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!