Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is my new graphics card dead?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Oct-2011, 08:23 PM #1
Unhappy Is my new graphics card dead?
2 weeks ago I bought a new Sapphire Radeon 6870 video card from Amazon.com. It installed fine and worked great on games like Civ 5 and the BF3 Beta until this morning. This morning I turned on my computer and no picture shows up on my monitor (a Vizo 52" HDTV). The screen just stays blue, telling me nothing is being output to the screen.

I have tried using different cables and plugging into different output ports on the card (HDMI and DVI), to no avail. I removed the graphics card and ran video off the motherboard, and that works fine. When I plugged the card back in and ran off that again, I still get no picture.

There were zero warning signs that my card was about to fail. Is my card dead, or am I missing something? This was my first purchase off Amazon.com. Is there someway I can get this problem fixed if my card is indeed dead?

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz
Motherboard: Foxconn MC37PM01H1 (Napa)
RAM: x2 OCZ PC2-6400 Gold Edition (Single Channel, 800MHz, 4GB total, 3.2GB Usable)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
HDD: Western Digital SATA 500GB (7200 RPM)
PSU: Rocketfish RF-500WPS2 500 Watt
ChRoNo16 ChRoNo16 is offline ChRoNo16 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 725 posts.

Experience: Super Computer Nerd
21-Oct-2011, 02:50 AM #2
Well it would be between you and either amazon.com, or the card manufacturer as far as replacing it. I would also check that power supply, a 500watt is normally lower than what is recommended for the newer video cards, you may not have enough power flowing to run everything.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Oct-2011, 02:53 AM #3
I would tend to look at the power supply as well. Rocket Fish is a total trash unit as far as quality goes. It is also one of Best Buys Store brands.
VictoriaiiCe VictoriaiiCe is offline VictoriaiiCe has a Profile Picture
VictoriaiiCe has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 684 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Oct-2011, 03:02 AM #4
I agree...1. Rocket Fish is trash 2. power supply is a very common problem with the new video cards and 3. Return it now before it crashes completely.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
amazon, amd, graphic card, radeon 6870

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!