Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help with upgrading my computer please

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Nov-2011, 10:45 AM #1
Question Help with upgrading my computer please
Ok so ill keep this short and simple i just need some help determining if the parts i want for my computer are compatible/ and or a good choice and if not than which are? i will just be using it for gaming nothing serious and i dont want to spend to much $$

(or possibly thinking of selling my computer and starting from scratch but would not like to do this if not needed.

This is my computer make and model That i bought this time last year.
Emachines ET1331g-o7w

Windows 7 home premium 64bit
Amd athlon II x2 250u (this is very low which made me decide to upgrade in the first place)
NVIDIA geforce 6150 intergrated GPU - Replaced with a ATI radeon HD 5670 1gb gddr5
640 gb HD
4gb ddr2 memory

These are the parts i was looking at that i needed to know if they are compatible with my motherboard etc AND if they will run at optimal levels.

CPU - AMD FX 8120 8-Core Processor 3.1 8 Socket AM3 - 199$ . seemed like the most bang for my buck..compatible? good choice?
GPU - currently have the radeon hd 5670 that i dont think i need a power supply for but i was looking at these..
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2048 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card - 160$
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card - Lifetime Warranty 250$

is there a reason the 1gb superclocked one is 100$ more? which one is better, do i even need to replace what i have?
Finally memory,
Corsair Vengeance Blue 4x 4gb 16 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit for Intel and AMD Platforms - 100$
i know 8gb would surley be enough but i was just going to get this kit..

opinions please? just looking for some quality answers thankyou!
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2011, 11:24 AM #2
need to know if this stuff is compatible asap please
Member with 33 posts.

18-Nov-2011, 11:36 AM #3
The memory will not work because the memory is a DDR2 bandwidth, not compatible because your motherboard's RAM slots are DDR2.
The reason why the GTX 560 Ti is a $100 more is because it's a 560, and not just a 560 but a 560 Ti which is significantly better than the 560 and 550.
The graphics card you stated above will work, but it depends on your power supply. Mind telling me your power supply?

And please give me your motherboard model/brand.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-Nov-2011, 11:39 AM #4
I don't do hardware compatibility checks, but from a high level, I suggest you start over: new case, motherboard, power supply, etc.

You have a super-cheap computer with a little 300 watt power supply. There's no way it will handle the power load and cooling of high-end parts.
Member with 33 posts.

18-Nov-2011, 11:40 AM #5
Hmm. Since he has a super cheap computer, with 300 watt power supply, it's definitely a yes to get a new rig.
Buying a new processor is really hard, since there's alot of motherboard compatibility problems, etc
Computer Specs

19-Nov-2011, 08:04 PM #6
really so my computer cant even run ddr3 ram? if this is true then i doubt the motherboard will be able to run that processor i want. this sucks but i appriciate the advice do you guys know a mid range motherboard that would be compatible with this stuff?

and is a 1 gb ddr5 gtx 560 ti better than a 2gb ddr5 550 ti? i dont see how and would it really be worth the 100 more dollars?

the crappy part is i paid 400 bucks for this computer last year.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Nov-2011, 10:37 PM #7
You paid a good price for a good computer, but you're expecting high-end gaming performance and capabilities from a budget computer.
Member with 33 posts.

05-Dec-2011, 10:43 AM #8
GTX 560 Ti is definitely better than 550Ti.
You should really sell this computer and get a new one.
You'll definitely be able to afford a new computer.. but you're gonna have to add more cash.
Computer Specs

05-Dec-2011, 10:55 AM #9
but explain to me how a 1 gb gtx 560 ti is better than a 2gb gtx 550 ti... their core clocks are generally the same but the 550 has double the memory

nd this post is a few days old i am in the process of getting parts for a new computer just going back and forth between mobos and cpu XD
Member with 33 posts.

06-Dec-2011, 05:14 AM #10
Because it's a 560 Ti, and you'll generally get much better framerate in games. Trust me ;D
More RAM doesn't translate to more performance
Computer Specs
Member with 100 posts.

06-Dec-2011, 11:48 AM #11
The RAM on a video card is only part of the deciding factor of how powerful it is, the 550Ti only has 192 cores whilst the 560Ti has either 384 or 448, which makes gives it a great deal more processing power.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu, gpu, upgrade help

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!