Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: I want to upgrade Ram, to increase life, help?

(!)

Member with 47 posts.

Experience: somewhat intermediate
30-Nov-2011, 01:21 AM #1
Question Solved: I want to upgrade Ram, to increase life, help?
I've seen http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...omputer-4.html
and from that I got:
"Once the 1 GB modules have arrived and you've unplugged and disconnected everything and have opened the case, touch a metal part of the case before going inside and touching anything. Standing on a bare floor instead of on carpet is also helpful in minimizing any static electricity. Press down and out on both white locking levers at the same time to loosen the modules, then remove them. Remove the 1 GB modules from their anti-static wrapping, being carefully not to touch the row of metal pins. Make sure to orientate the modules in the correct position so the notch matches the raised area in the slot. Place the modules in the slot, then push down firmly near both upper corners at the same time until they're fully seated and the locking levers have flipped back up into position. Once you're done, reconnect and plug in everything, then start the computer."

That is good info on how to insert ram onto a mobo right? If it is then all I need is the info on compatible ram for my mobo and system. I don't know how to look for it.
This computer is a hand-me-down (reformatted since then) and I know that more Ram would increase it's life. (I am using this for some gaming, I play oblivion on windowed, from the ini file, 480 640, lol, lowest settings)
Here is something:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x86 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 958 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 13097 MB, Free - 3352 MB; D: Total - 73370 MB, Free - 40806 MB; I: Total - 80000 MB, Free - 69847 MB; J: Total - 71997 MB, Free - 50154 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NAGAMI2, 2.00, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

1 hard-drive partitioned multiple times btw

realized what mbj: was lol~EDITz

Current Ram is: 1024 mg pc3200
512mb ddr sdram x2

cpu temp now is at 54c 129F got from bios on startup (yeozha is that good? seems hot)

cpu fan sped 1500 rpms
system fan speed 1212 rpms
I think the fan speed is either current or capacity?..

I finally found out about my mother board, link here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00683208

Does this mean I can only take ddr ? not ddr2 or anything?

yeah I know the graphics card sucks, improving that would help, But I have no clue as to what the psu is so.. I have never built a computer myself before so I don't want to mess things up.

Since it has a pci16x slot anyone have thoughts on a good cheap old-ish graphics card I could update too, to better "unblottleneck' the comp without any overheating problems? or is my cpu just not good enough, although maybe I can upgrade that too lol, cheaper than buying 700-ish new comp anyway.

I plan on buying/building a new comp in the future. But I want this one to work better in the mean time. I will have to get an external harddive to back things up with etc..

a couple more things I have multiple paging files on my partitions
980-1840 on D:
980 -1640 on I: and J:

Is that even useful? should I have only one paging file? The games I use seem to take 800 some from the files at a time. (at least one on line fighting game does) not sure about oblivion..

I may just post this and go to bed looking it back up later..

Last edited by UserBarZero; 30-Nov-2011 at 02:47 PM..
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,356 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Nov-2011, 10:59 AM #2
The ASUS A8N-LA (NAGAMI2) motherboard has 4 slots and supports up to 4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM.

It uses these 184-pin, unbuffered, non-ECC modules:

DDR PC2700(DDR333)

DDR PC3200(DDR400)

Since you currently have a 512 MB DDR PC3200(DDR400) module in 2 of the 4 slots, you can add 512 MB modules to the 2 empty slots.

That will increase the amount of RAM to 2048 MB(2 GB).

--------------------------------------------------------

Adding more RAM does NOT increase the life of a computer.

What it does is make a computer speedier and snappier.

-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 30-Nov-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Member with 47 posts.

30-Nov-2011, 03:54 PM #3
Thanks for info, I looked at the specifications again and saw what you posted, lol was too sleepy.
Do you think it is OK to use different brands for the Ram? Or does it matter?

I was thinking this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145407 , it's a bit random but the limit of 9999 per customer amuses me greatly.

Getting 4gb would cost more, and I'd have to remove the old sticks, but do you think it would help in playing Oblivion? Or is that bottlenecked by my GPU card regardless?

Wait a second, is my graphics onboard graphics and I don't have a card at all? I ask that because of the chipset (GeForce 6150 LE), I wonder if those chips are the GPU ram. o.O
:?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

30-Nov-2011, 04:08 PM #4
According to what you said earlier, your computer already has 2 - 512 MB DDR PC3200 modules.

You need to add 2 more modules of the SAME capacity and speed to the 2 empty slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820236111

DDR PC2700 runs at a slower speed than DDR PC3200.

If you combine DDR PC2700 and DDR3200 modules, they will ALL run at the slower speed.

-------------------------------------------------------
Member with 47 posts.

30-Nov-2011, 04:25 PM #5
Wowz that's right, I really need to check the details more often. I just choose the first one randomly mm.

\this is all I need I guess, thanks.

But I will use the information and whatnot obtained here and from the act of posting and subsequent searches to help with my comp and maybe building a new one later.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...20a1520n&tool=

Finally found my product. This will help me a LOT man hand-me-downs suck. EDITZ

Last edited by UserBarZero; 30-Nov-2011 at 09:38 PM..
Member with 47 posts.

30-Nov-2011, 07:32 PM #6
I have one more question.

Can I put a 2gb dual channel memory RAM in my machine or will that mess things up since I have a 512 mb dual channel memory RAM already?
I think 3 gb would help out better, If I could combine them well with my existing 512 RAM, it would be nice.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2011, 09:49 PM #7
im pretty sure the ram all has to be the same you cant mix like ddr2 with ddr3 because the computer wont read it. your best bet is to take out the 512 sticks and replace them with 4x 1 gig sticks IMO.

and since your OS is 32 bit i dont think you can get over 4gb unless you upgrade to 64 bit

but also just an FYI Ram is not the only thing that makes a computer run better, if your using your computer for gaming throwing more ram in it wont solve all your problems, your CPU and GPU are quite low only being a 256mb graphics card and the amd athlon 64.. id say just buy a new computer here is a website of some pretty nice pre built gaming PC.

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCatego...me=Desktop-PCs

you can get a decent one for around 500
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2011, 09:58 PM #8
and yes what you said earlier your geforce 6150 is Integrated meaning its on the mobo.. you still have a slot to put a graphics card in if you decided to buy one. but no mater what you do your computer will only run as fast as the CPU processes it..

i had the same problem with my computer i had a radeon HD 5670 1gb ddr5 gpu with 4 gig of ram but i had trouble running black ops because my CPU - AMD athlon II x2 was not good enough so im in the process of building a new computer.
Member with 47 posts.

30-Nov-2011, 10:10 PM #9
Thanks for the input, and you're right on getting a new computer that would be best for speed.
I forgot you can buy desktops from newegg that one looks good.

..and having integrated graphics makes more sense to my exp with this comp xO

I think that putting 2gb dual channel along side 1gb dual channel won't hurt anything, otherwise why would crucial even suggest it?

I've found all I need for this thread yeah. It helped me start my search for information about this hand-me-down lolz.
Computer Specs

01-Dec-2011, 08:55 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserBarZero View Post
I have one more question.

Can I put a 2gb dual channel memory RAM in my machine or will that mess things up since I have a 512 mb dual channel memory RAM already?
I think 3 gb would help out better, If I could combine them well with my existing 512 RAM, it would be nice.
You can't use 2 GB modules because the motherboard supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM and has 4 slots.

A 1 GB module is the largest capacity that you can place in each slot.

If you want to add 2 - 1 GB modules to the existing 2 - 512 MB modules to increase the overall amount to 3 GB, that's fine.

Just make sure they're all DDR PC3200 modules.

----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 01-Dec-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Member with 47 posts.

01-Dec-2011, 12:54 PM #11
Okay. Thanks, I meant putting a 2gb 'pack' of 1 gb dual channel when I said 2gb P: and along side the 1gb dual channel 512 ram chip yeah.

Good to know I can, but I looked inside and I may not have enough room somehow, o.o'' I'll figure it out.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

01-Dec-2011, 01:46 PM #12
I would refer to buy this RAM because its an upgrade as well as its very affordable. Tell me what you think. http://compare.ebay.com/like/2509331...Types&var=sbar

Hopefully this answers your question.
Member with 47 posts.

11-Dec-2011, 05:02 PM #13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

yay it worked!!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x86 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3006 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 13097 MB, Free - 2957 MB; D: Total - 73370 MB, Free - 41873 MB; I: Total - 80000 MB, Free - 68861 MB; J: Total - 71997 MB, Free - 50634 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NAGAMI2, 2.00, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

i had to reactivate windows for some reason but it reactivated in seconds yay~

I looked at my old RAM and the chips have SAMSUNG on them, the new wintech RAM also have SAMSUNG chips on them! So I figure it will work out fine hopefully.

All I have to do know is memtest, I haven't made a cd for it yet. I may end up making a new thread about that, or searching for info anyway.

Everything starts up a little bit faster, and everything seems to look a bit better on my monitor too, ha! placebo probably
Computer Specs

11-Dec-2011, 05:22 PM #14
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
info, upgrade, upgrade ram

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!