Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Building New PC questions about PSU GPU CPU

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2011, 11:41 PM #1
Question Building New PC questions about PSU GPU CPU
Okay so im building a new PC and have a few questions concerning the Psu Gpu and cpu and also i wanted some educated opinions before i go buying things.

Ill start off by saying that i wanted to get the Crosshair V Mobo by ROG found here @ amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Crosshair.../ref=de_a_smtd

But i read one of the reviews on there and the kid said that when he Tried putting the AMD FX-8150 onto the mobo it didnt work bc the bios had to be updated, can anyone clear this up for me??

With that being said i was either going to purchase the AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Or the AMD FX-8150 8-core
both around the same price so can i have opinions on which is better or the pros and cons..i heard the bulldozer runs at kinda high temps..

as of now i decided to go with this Mobo because of the review about the ROG board plus this one is about 100$ cheaper and seems just as good and is also capable of running the 8 core processor.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M5A99X-Ev...2&sr=1-3-spell

This mobo is CrossfireX Ready so i have a few questions about this also..i currently have a Radeon HD 5670 1gb ddr5
You can run two gpu on one monitor correct? and do both of the GPU have to be the same? do i have to get another 5670 series or will it work if i get lets say a HD 6950?

Also what would be more benificial to me if i ran 2x 1gb ddr5 gpu's or if i had lets say a geforce gtx 550 2gb ddr5?
any info or opinions on this would help.

And to Sum it up these are some questions i need answered:
Is what the review on the ROG mobo about the bulldozer correct?
Which CPU is better, pros and cons?
Which GPU will be more benificial and how CrossfireX and SLI work?
What Power Supply Wattage will be needed to Run these CPU and GPU?
The Asus board says "MEM OK" stating that any memory is compatible, are there restrictions on this?
I would like to run 4x 4gb ddr3 Vengence sdram

Thankyou for any information and opinions! also open to new ideas pertaining to building my new gaming PC.
Member with 3,503 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Dec-2011, 09:55 PM #2
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,161 posts.

01-Dec-2011, 11:45 PM #3
It depends on what bios version is on your board when it ships. All of the current am3+ boards need a bios update to run bulldozer. As new boards are introduced, most likely they will have a bios that will run bulldozer without an update.

I do not know where you are looking however the 1100 and the 8150 are not the same price. The egg has the 1100 for $189 and the 8150 is $269; not what I would call close in price.

Experience: I've been at this for too long.
02-Dec-2011, 04:24 AM #4
The reviews on the first generation of bulldozer chips are uniformly disappointing. Overall performance is very similar to the Phenom-II and in some cases the bulldozer is slower than the Phenom-II.

AMD made some design tradeoffs in order to fit more cores on the same sized die. These tradeoffs are, in some situations, leading to I/O bottlenecks on the chip and to contention for floating point units (there are only 4 on the 8 core chip). AMD had expected to offset these tradeoffs by turning up the clock speeds, but it seems that the first generation bulldozer is not meeting expectations with respect to higher clock speeds.

If I were building a new AMD platform now, I would make sure I had an AM3+ mobo and I would put the Phenom-II in it. This way I get the maturity of the Phenom-II line while having an upgrade path available to bulldozer when the second or third generation arrives, presuming those chips meet the performance expectations.

I do wish AMD would get it right; lacking competition on the high performance end, Intel's products remain too expensive. Some competition is needed there.

I must say, though, that my quad core Phenom-II system is nearly two years old and its performance remains very satisfactory. I CAN bury it, and occasionally do. But generally, I have lots of processor headroom and the system shows no signs whatsoever of approaching end of life. But then, I don't play high performance games, either.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Dec-2011, 11:43 AM #5
@ CrjDriver - amazon.com has both CPU's for generally the same price and if u click the (new link) it brings up other ppl selling them aswell both are in the 200$ range here is the link
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_sc...fceb25e291eb03

i could also get a i5 2405 s for around the same price how would that match up?

And Jiml8 thankyou for this information and opinion but i still have many unanswered questions but yes it is a AM3+ board now what is this about if i Run the AMD fx with a HD radeon it performs better? oh and i figured out that i need the same series gpu if i want to crossfirex

but i also need to know what wattage i would need to run these.. crossfire on my gpu calls for 500 but would that be enough for these cpu? i would feel safer with atleast 750

and if i need a bios update for any am3+ board to run bulldozer would it be just worth getting the phenom II? or would i be better off just putting the 100$ in for the ROG mobo.. also i do not have big plans to OC since expensive parts i dont want to replace and it will be good enough for me anyway so another reason i did not need the rog board
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu, gaming pc build, gpu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!