Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

The Keyboard wont work

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Dec-2011, 02:06 AM #1
Angry The Keyboard wont work
Well i rebooted my computer one evening and when i went to type in the password i noticed my keyboard wont work. you can see that power is getting to it and the numlock works but all the other keys wont i had to hook up a much older and slower computer to get anything done, however i would like to get back into the other. the keyboard is not bad. i have another and i switched them out, the same thing happened with that keyboard. i tried rebooting many times.

the only thing i'm able to do is reboot but i cant get past the login screen. i'm able to press F8 and get to that screen but my arrow keys dont work so i cant change my options there either.

i ran out of ideas....help?
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Dec-2011, 07:36 PM #2
If you can get to the device manager it will most likely show an yellow exclamation mark next to your p2p keyboard (I am assuming it is p2p not usb). Right click on it and select properties, then update driver. If that doesn't work then I am wrong and you have a usb keyboard. Go to the manufacturers website and download a driver for you usb keyboard. By the way on the log in screen you can open up ease of access and click on screen keyboard, and use that until you can get your keyboard to work.

30-Dec-2011, 12:24 AM #3
well that WOULD work...but i cant get into device managers because i cant get past the login screen cause my keyboard wont type...neither will my other keyboard. so if i cant type i cant get into DM. any other ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

30-Dec-2011, 02:30 AM #4
Can you not open the on screen keyboard in the login screen?

31-Dec-2011, 01:46 AM #5
...i have never run accros a case where i had to do that...in fact...i didnt know it was possible ^^;; whoops...um...how do you open the on screen keyboard in the login screen?
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

31-Dec-2011, 02:44 PM #6
For me there is an ease of access button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen, click that and then on-screen keyboard. I don't remember if XP has that though, if you are using XP.

04-Jan-2012, 11:55 AM #7
Well...I'm running xp...do you know if its possible to open th onscreen keyboard at th login screen?
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

04-Jan-2012, 12:35 PM #8
Does your keyboard work in the bios? If it does then boot in safe mode.

11-Jan-2012, 10:38 PM #9
Not really no. I can use f8 to get into the screen but I can't move up or down to select anything
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

12-Jan-2012, 01:30 AM #10
If another keyboard hasnt worked such as an external one and if you cant use the onscreen keyboard on xp you might want to have the motherboard checked out.I had a similar problem where the main keyboard wouldnt type some letters but an external and onscreen keyboard did work. I thought ok ill just replace the whole keyboard. Three new keyboards were tried and they all did the same thing. It turned out to be the motherboard of all things.So you just never know.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computer, keyboard, power, reboot, wont work

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!