Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer stuck on mobo splash screen and no keyboard

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

02-Jan-2012, 10:43 AM #1
Computer stuck on mobo splash screen and no keyboard
Alright, so my buddy brought over his computer for me to fix. The problem was that when it was booted, there was no display on the monitor in which the cable was plugged into the video card. I plugged in the cable to the onboard video card, got a display. Next was that I could not get past the boot screen. I got an error code "5A" on the intel mobo. So I checked out everything I could, tried resetting the CMOS unplugged everything except bare necessities (memory, mobo, display, fans) but still couldn't get it to work. I then tried swapping the mobo with a brand new Gigabyte one which was compatible with all the parts and it's still not working. Again, I reset the CMOS by taking out the battery for 15 minutes and still nothing. I tried to swap the memory from my computer to his and I don't even get the splash screen. So I'm stumped as to why I'm stuck on the splash screen and my keyboard won't even function so I can't configure the BIOS. PS/2 keyboard btw. And I did try to put the Windows 7 CD in to see if I could boot from that and that didn't work either. I think I've covered all the bases so if anyone has the solution, I'd be pretty grateful.

Anyway, this is what I've narrowed it down to:

It's not the HDD, I tested it on my own computer and it shouldn't have anything to do with setting up the BIOS anyway.

It's not the motherboard, I put in a brand new one just to make sure.

It's not the keyboard, monitor, or video card as I've tested these out on my own pc.

It may be the memory, power supply, or cpu.
Member with 17 posts.

02-Jan-2012, 10:49 AM #2
Take out all memory that you can, if multiple modules, then switch modules. If multiple module slots, then switch slots.

If you can get a USB keyboard, try that. (Not sure how your keyboard is plugged in, though the more variables that you can rotate in this instance the better.)

02-Jan-2012, 10:58 AM #3
I did what you suggested though I only have 1GB of memory to work with. Tried switching it to each slot, still not working. Tried using a USB keyboard and made sure it was plugged in the rear panel, tried all slots and that won't work either. Thanks for the quick reply though.
K7M K7M is offline K7M has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jan-2012, 11:04 AM #4
The only thing you left out is the power supply. Try a known good power supply.

02-Jan-2012, 11:23 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7M View Post
The only thing you left out is the power supply. Try a known good power supply.
I was afraid you'd say that..

02-Jan-2012, 11:40 AM #6
That didn't work either :<
K7M K7M is offline K7M has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jan-2012, 12:07 PM #7
Try booting with only the motherboard, Cpu, on board video if so equipped, if no onboard add video card, keyboard & mouse, monitor. Make sure you have all the power connectors connected properly. without memory installed you should get a beep code telling you there is no memory. At this point shut down and install 1 mem chip. watch your boot screen. it should test memory and continue to look for the HD and operating system. You should get an error stating it can't find the operating system or HD. Now add the HD and see what it tells you.

02-Jan-2012, 12:26 PM #8
I did exactly what you said, even unplugged fans and didn't get a beep of any sort. I'm not even getting a display on my monitor now. That seems pretty odd to me that I'm not getting beeps.. I'm never going to figure this out haha
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
motherboard, no keyboard, splash screen

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!