Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Canon printer waste ink absorber

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Jan-2012, 03:08 PM #1
Canon printer waste ink absorber
A few years ago several people posted queries about Canon's waste ink absorber tank. Once full, as adjudged by the numbers of ink cartridges used, the printer would stop working and the user would be told to send the printer in for changing the absorber. Unfortunately, the costs for this operation would exceed the price of a new printer!
I happened on this thread after experiencing the same problem with my Canon ip1500. I worked out a way of cleaning out the tank but the printer stayed out of action. One of the posts included detailed instructions for resetting the internal counter:
1. Turn off printer and disconnect printer cable.
2. Press and hold POWER button, then turn on printer (i.e. turn on the mains power I presume)
3.The led is now green
4.Press and release RESUME -- led turns orange
5. Press and release RESUME --led green
6. Release both buttons.

This is a little ambiguous (e.g. if you have released RESUME in step 5, how can you release both the
POWER and RESUME buttons at once in step 6?) but I tried it several times. The general outcome was
that the printer sucked in a sheet of paper, stopped for a moment, then spat it out again. Then, when I tried to print something, got a message "Printer is busy" and then "Waste ink absorber is full etc."
I tried varying the basic pattern a little and it still doesn't work. Very frustrating, as the printer (which I got second-hand), still produces excellent results -- when it works!

If anyone has had the same problem (in addition to the people involved in the earlier thread) and solved it please let me know. Needless to say, the next printer I get will not be a Canon!
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,268 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jan-2012, 03:37 PM #2
I found a web site that claims to have a two step procedure for resetting the printer's waste tank error condition. It requires downloading and running soft ware from the site.

http://landaru.com/2011/05/reset-can...e-ink-counter/

Disclaimer:
The link mentioned above was found with a Google search. Neither TSG or I are responsible for the accuracy of or consequences of using the information or for the safety of any software that is downloaded from the linked site.
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2012, 03:54 PM #3
Dear Mr Wozniak
Thanks for the info. I was aware of the possibility of using a software approach, but I want to put that off as long as I can! I am rather paranoid about programs from uncertain sources, but if I can't find a button pressing method I may have to try it, I suppose.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,268 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jan-2012, 04:09 PM #4
I usually don't have a problem with using software downloaded directly from the equipment manufacturer's web site, but I am cautious like you when it comes to software from unfamiliar sources. That is why I put disclaimers in my posts. Your choice.

FWiW I don't think I would consider any brand, except Canon, for my printer needs. They seem reliable to me and I am able to find fairly inexpensive third party ink tanks that work quite well in them.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,614 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jan-2012, 05:59 PM #5
The printer stops printing so that the ink doesn't start overflowing and spilling out of the printer, I've seen ink dripping out of printers before because the pads couldn't absorb any more ink as well as the entire interiors coated in ink spray. You can't blame Canon for trying to prevent ink damage to the furniture your printer sits on as well as damage to the printer itself.

And unfortunately just as you don't work at your job for free, neither can the Canon service techs, everyone has bills to pay. And yes new units are so cheap that it hardly makes sense to fix them these days.

The link posted above also has a manual reset as described below:

Step 1: Manual reset
1. Unplug power and USB.
2. Open door and hold power button.
3. Connect power.
4. Close door, then release power button.
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2012, 03:08 PM #6
Thanks for your further comments. I agree that the printer works well -- or did until now -- and that it is possible to find cheap ink for it (I've been paying one pound sterling per black cartridge). It is just annoying that one is forced to replace a working printer because it refuses to accept that the ink waste reservoir is no longer full!
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2012, 03:14 PM #7
Dear Triple 6
Thanks for your comments. I will try the reset method you outline.

I do accept that you can't have ink dripping everywhere, but if Canon offered easy-to-replace reservoirs at a small cost it would be a more happy alternative. I had warnings that the reservoir was filling and was mopping off the excess; and when it finally filled I devised a painfully slow way of emptying it manually, all to no avail, of course. Thanks again!
Computer Specs

13-Jan-2012, 03:53 PM #8
Thanks, Triple 6, the very simple reset procedure worked brilliantly! Aside from requiring a couple of print head cleanings, the printer now works well. I will keep checking the waste reservoir just in case...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
canon printer, reset code, waste ink, waste ink absorber

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!