Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Black screen on laptop after power outage

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
23-Jan-2012, 02:18 PM #1
Black screen on laptop after power outage
Hi we have a compaq laptop that is about 5 years old. It's a basic laptop and was quite inexpensive when we purchased it. I think it was like $300-$400. Anyway, we had a power outage and now the screen is blank (black to be specific). When I turned it on the lites flash and it sounds like its running, but nothing, I mean nothing shows up on screen. My question is what could be wrong? Would it be worth paying someone to fix it? Do you think I lost the pictures downloaded on the laptop? That's the only data I care about recovering! Thx in advance for your thoughts.
Computer Specs
Member with 491 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jan-2012, 03:12 PM #2
You mean your whole house had a powercut? Could be a powersurge that's fried it.
Your photos and data is recoverable- I advise you to go to your local PC repair shop and get them to make a backup of your data because you don't sound as if you would understand how to remove your hard drive from your laptop and put it into a USB caddy...
Anyways... a new laptop is adviseable.

23-Jan-2012, 03:17 PM #3
Yes the whole house lost power. We're in the Seattle area:-). Darn Ice Storm. Thx
Computer Specs
Member with 491 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jan-2012, 03:21 PM #4
Then shall I suggest you complain to your electricity company that the power outage broke your laptop? Or insurance company if they won't listen.

23-Jan-2012, 04:58 PM #5
Thx. It's not worth filing a claim with insurance because it's the only thing damaged from the power outage. Thx again. I'm just happy I will be able to get the pics back:-)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen., power outage

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!