Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD Tray Won't Open

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jan-2012, 06:49 PM #1
DVD Tray Won't Open
The DVD tray won't open when push the button on the front of the DVD drive. This happens every once in awhile. Is this simply a hardware malfunction or is there something missing in the drivers?

thanks

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3071 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 35291 MB, Free - 6028 MB; E: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 74663 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A8N-SLI Premium
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,247 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jan-2012, 07:12 PM #2
It'll likely be a physical hardware failure. You can go to My Computer, right click on the drive, and click on Eject and see if that works. If not new drives are dirt cheap.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

29-Jan-2012, 09:59 PM #3
Or, if you get really stuck, open up a paper clip, and push the end of it gently into the hole on the front of the drive. It should then pop out a bit, allowing you to open the drive fully to retrieve or put in a disc.
New dvd drives are around $5-6 though.

Yes, as Snagglegaster says, switch off first

Last edited by ashley1969; 29-Jan-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
29-Jan-2012, 10:09 PM #4
If you try opening the drive with a paper clip, you should do it when the system is turned off, or you are likely to damage the drive. Sometimes, a stuck drive that'a been opened with a paper clip will work fine for a long, long time. Unfortunately, what usually happens is that the drive continues to malfunction and requires replacement. Ashley1969, I don't think there are many new DVD burners to be had quite as cheaply as $5-$6, but if you have some, and you'll accept a purchase order in lieu of cash, we should talk.

29-Jan-2012, 10:21 PM #5
I not seen Burners for that price either, I only said dvd Drives.. ;-) and I have bought 2 for the kids pcs for $5 each, in a local store. Original post didn't mention a Burner drive.

29-Jan-2012, 10:43 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1969 View Post
I not seen Burners for that price either, I only said dvd Drives.. ;-) and I have bought 2 for the kids pcs for $5 each, in a local store. Original post didn't mention a Burner drive.
That's absolutely right. And I stand most humbly corrected. Just couldn't resist pulling your chain a bit. Lots of folks are sloppy about terminology, which is one of the things that makes online support difficult. Anyway, if you ever have the misfortune to be stuck in the Texas Panhandle, I owe you a coffee.

29-Jan-2012, 11:37 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
That's absolutely right. And I stand most humbly corrected. Just couldn't resist pulling your chain a bit. Lots of folks are sloppy about terminology, which is one of the things that makes online support difficult. Anyway, if you ever have the misfortune to be stuck in the Texas Panhandle, I owe you a coffee.
Hey, it's all good, I'm new here, I just joined to put the post that is above yours. Thought I'd give first, just in case I need help sometime too. Hope we not hijacking this post now... ;-)
Computer Specs
Member with 4,238 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jan-2012, 11:46 PM #8
Sometimes these drives will open more often when there is a disk inside than when they're empty.

31-Jan-2012, 08:50 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1969 View Post
Hey, it's all good, I'm new here, I just joined to put the post that is above yours. Thought I'd give first, just in case I need help sometime too. Hope we not hijacking this post now... ;-)
It's good that you want to help rather than be a part of the problem I think if you are fairly new to support forums, you will find that their are leeches and blood donors without much middle ground. Strangely enough, on forums the blood donors are at the top of the food chain. Of course, you need some ego to back it up, but you might be there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dvd drive not recognized, dvd drive tray stuck

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!