Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

low level formatting of HDD

(!)

machv   (Neil) machv is offline machv has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jan-2012, 08:10 PM #1
Smile low level formatting of HDD
I have a HDD that was on its way out, so I low level formatted it. Which software do I need in order to be able to use the drive again? It does not show up in my list of drives. Plus partitioning software does not see it either. But the Low level tool I used does but it doesn't have a feature other than formatting the drives.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
30-Jan-2012, 08:14 PM #2
It may be dead. We have had some drives end up unusable after being wiped. That's why it is reserved for drives that are not going to be used again. There is never any reason to low-level format a drive that someone wants to keep.

If it was "on its way out", it was close to dead, anyway, right?
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

30-Jan-2012, 08:17 PM #3
Red face Fixed it I think???
I got a program called Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free Edition from Cnet and it seems to have fixed the reformatting and drive letter problem OK (sorry about the lack of tech speak describing what I did but I am er busy... so why am I writing this???) lol.
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

30-Jan-2012, 08:20 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
It may be dead. We have had some drives end up unusable after being wiped. That's why it is reserved for drives that are not going to be used again. There is never any reason to low-level format a drive that someone wants to keep.

If it was "on its way out", it was close to dead, anyway, right?
Yes it was and I am just playing around with it to see if I can, if possible, unallocate the bad clusters and keep the good ones, even if the drive size ends up being 1mb form the original 320gb, boredom breeds redundancy
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

30-Jan-2012, 08:24 PM #5
Well after the formatting etc... the health of the poor thing is still at 6%. Is that bad??? hahahaha
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
30-Jan-2012, 08:27 PM #6
It depends what 6% means. It is an arbitrary measure made up by the company that made the program. But we would prefer 100%, I would assume, when it comes to drives.

If it had bad blocks, chances are that every time you test it, it will have more, and you will not be able to mark them as fast as they appear. Nothing can fix them.
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

30-Jan-2012, 08:35 PM #7
Interesting point about the context you put the 6% result in. I never thought about results like that that way before. I guess in the same vein another app may put health at 50% or 0%. I will keep that line of thinking in mind from now on. And as far as the bad blocks getting worse and therefore a losing battle I guess that means there's not much I can do. I guess I will turn the HDD into art for the wall. They look cool with the covers off. And the magnets inside are really strong 'uns. (sometimes I think that I never got past the age of 10yrs) Have a great day and thanks for the replies
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hdd, low level format, partition, recover

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!