Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is my graphics card dying? - Black screen, odd white lines.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 163 posts.

01-Feb-2012, 06:14 PM #1
Is my graphics card dying? - Black screen, odd white lines.
I've been having some weird oddities with my computer as of late. Completely at random, my screen will go black (for around 3 - 5 seconds) before eventually coming back on again and I'm noticing some weird, small, white horizontal lines randomly appearing across my monitor for about half a second, then disappearing. At first, I thought I was seeing things... but a friend of mine can back me up on this.

It seems to start and stop randomly, but I think it's getting worse. Often, the screen will go black, come back on, and then the process repeats several times before it seems to settle down back to normal again. The white lines appear while the computer is doing this, but not when the screen has gone back. They dot all around the screen, it's very hard to describe them... it doesn't look good, anyway.

I am convinced this is not my monitor. I have a funny feeling it's my Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card bugging out. I've checked the fan and the temperatures and all seems fine. I've re-installed the drivers and it still happens. I've dusted and re-inserted the card, no dice. It seems to happen completely at random and it's bugging me.

Has anyone had a similar problem before, or might have a clue what is causing this? I was planning on upgrading my machine in March anyway, but I was hoping my GPU might last a little longer (I've had it for two years or so now.)

Cheers.
Computer Specs
Member with 75 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Feb-2012, 06:57 PM #2
I'd be interested to know what your fps benchmark is. evga oc scanner is good. I have dual 460 gtx and the benchmark is around 95 fps. When I installed these in a new board my screen would go black when I paused for anything i.e. to agree to a download. I get a small vertical line loading a game but it didn't worry me for some reason. My benchs are ok, not impressive. After 2 or 3 restarts it hasn't frozen since. If your temps are good and it benchmarks ok I don't know enough and I'm not confident enough to answer questions. Somebody will help you. They put up with me. This is the best forum I've been on yet.
Computer Specs
Member with 163 posts.

01-Feb-2012, 07:17 PM #3
I've been with TSG since 2005 and they've never let me down yet.

Here are my GFX temps (on desktop):

I'm not sure if I dare run a stress test on it, if it is indeed on its last legs. I'll give in if needs be, though.
Computer Specs
Member with 75 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Feb-2012, 07:25 PM #4
If it's going to happen it's just a matter of time. I'm not qualified or confident enough to answer or help much . I would check it. I would have checked my ram also, maybe even before the card. It's easy to do and one less thing it could be. A bad stick of ram causes a lot of issues.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!