Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Fixed - CPU usage 100% and laptop really slow

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Feb-2012, 08:20 AM #1
Talking Fixed - CPU usage 100% and laptop really slow
For weeks my laptop was getting slower and then I found that the CPU usage was 100%. Checking TechSupportGuy gave some clues so I searched for the programs greedily using CPU power - it shouldn't be 100% (my Dad's PC is about 5-20%). Sure enough the two culprits were Apples' software updater (49%) and HTC's software uploader (40 odd %). I ended those processes and my laptop is working much faster. Hope this helps others reading this for clues on why their PC is slow.
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 07:04 AM #2
Hi I'm having the same problem and I have apple installed on my laptop what settings do I need to go to.. To solve this as my laptop is running as slow as a snail.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Mar-2012, 11:12 AM #3
Hi Carly. There is a temp fix and a permanent fix, assuming your CPU overload problem is caused by the Apple software. The temp fix is something you do immediately you boot up. Before you open any programs do ctrl-alt-delete and start Task Manager. If you click on the Processes tab (I am using Windows 7 but I guess it is roughly the same for other OS), then at the bottom click on 'Show processes from all users'. You can then click on the 'CPU' column to find out what is eating up your power (it'll show the most % use at the top) or the 'Image name' column. I'm betting that Applemobiledeviceservice.exe is the program that is most guilty. Highlight it and then click 'End process'. This is will disable it for your current session until you switch off and reboot again (I think).

The permanent fix is just that (although it is reversible). Simply follow the instructions here http://www.ghacks.net/2009/06/07/dis...podserviceexe/

Basically you are disabling permanently the Apple software for iPod etc. Since I don't have an iPod or use iTunes then it isn't a problem for me. I assume it is if you use Apple products. It is all self-explanatory. There are three fixes you can do, but the first is the main one. I did the first two, but not the last one where you disable the iPodService.exe as it seemed to be alot of work for no big gain and you never know you might need it.

Hope that helps. I think Apple are really irresponsible for having a program that devours so much power.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu, slow pc

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!