Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP pavilion elite m9040n graphics card issue?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Feb-2012, 02:32 PM #1
HP pavilion elite m9040n graphics card issue?
hp pavilion elite m9040n
intel core 2 quad processor
nvidia geforce 8400 gs graphics card

Hi all, new to the forums but not computers.
I suspect my families HP pavilion elite m9040 n desktop is experiencing some graphics card issues. We've had it for a few years and only recently began experiencing these issues. Thinking it was an OS issue I wiped the hard rive and began to reinstall a fresh copy of windows 7. After boot up the windows 7 install screen is presented, but it is oddly mottled and the colors are oddly off. The screen is crisscrossed with intersecting lines of dark red and black. An image of this screen is attached below. A similar image was presented when trying to install vista. The only luck Ive had is with ubuntu which boots up fine and works for several hours before shutdown and then it will refuse to boot up for 2-4 hours. More specifically it will boot but present a screen of alternating red and black horizontal stripes. Within ubuntu oddly discolored screens will flash during boot up after this occurs.
Its obvious to me this is a hardware problem as different operating systems react similarly to the issue. My first thought after OS issues was perhaps it was a problem with the monitor. I hooked up another computer however and it worked fine.

So now I figure it must be a hardware problem with the computer. Unfortunately I have little/no experience with computer hardware and can only guess at whats going on. I suspect the graphics card is compromised somehow. The computer has a history of motherboard issues however so the issue may be related to that.
Any help diagnosing/fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
HP pavilion elite m9040n graphics card issue?-img_20120212_134850.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Feb-2012, 02:48 PM #2
Have you updated the GPU driver?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

12-Feb-2012, 02:53 PM #3
It's not a driver issue since it happens during a Windows installation.
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2012, 03:17 PM #4
In any case the drivers are all up to date.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

12-Feb-2012, 03:19 PM #5
No drivers are loaded when you're at the Windows 7 installation screen. This is clearly a hardware problem.
Computer Specs

12-Feb-2012, 03:23 PM #6
Thats what I figured. I suppose I should replace the graphics card and cross my fingers? How much is that going to run me?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,382 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Feb-2012, 08:39 PM #7
You may be experiencing the widespread nVidia GPU failure from a few years ago, see here: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...a-g84-g86s-bad

You can replace the video card in the system with one like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131338
That graphics card is newer and a bit faster then the 8400GS.
If you want more graphics performance for gaming then you can go with a more powerful card.

OR

Just remove the graphics card altogether and plug into the motherboard's integrated Intel graphics, I just realized it has integrated Intel graphics.

Last edited by Triple6; 12-Feb-2012 at 08:52 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphics card, hp pavilion elite, motherboard

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!