Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installing new SSD

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Feb-2012, 07:01 PM #1
Installing new SSD
I am having trouble installing a replacing my old SSD with a new one. So far what I have done:

- Purchased recovery discs because I lost my originals and had reformatted the original hard drive that came with the system so they were no longer burnable.
- Performed a system recovery on the original hard drive, creating the restore partition
- Created a system image on a portable drive
- Unplugged original hard drive, plugged SATA and power cable into new SSD
- When I reboot and go into setup>advanced bios features, I can not set the "1st boot device" as the portable drive unless I also set "Hard Disk Drive Priority" to the external drive. I thought the "1st boot device" should be the device that has the system image on it and the "hard disk drive priority" should be the SSD I want to install windows 7 on.
- I have also changed the Onboard SATA Mode to AHCI
- When I save and exit it tells me: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I am at a loss on how to get this thing working. I don't remember it being this hard when I installed the original SSD.

I can still plug everything in with the old SSD and original HD and it works fine. I would really like to get this new SSD installed because I need the space. Kicking myself for not splurging and just buying a larger SSD originally.

Any insight you can provide would be hugely appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,375 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Feb-2012, 07:23 PM #2
I'm confused to all the steps you are taking....

If you want to move the operating system from the one drive to the other drive, you can simply clone it in one simple step using a program like Clonezilla or your SSD manufacturer may have their own utility to clone the old drive to the new one.

Or if you have Recovery Discs, then just use them with the new SSD.

Boot Device means which drive you want the computer to boot from, not what drive is the main drive. Hard Disk Priority is just an extension allowing you choose the Boot Device from the list of available disk drives.
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Feb-2012, 07:38 PM #3
I don't know either...

I tried to use the recovery discs on the new hard drive and it wouldn't let me this afternoon. Of course now that I try again it seems to be working just fine.

It's time to start drinking and register for some computer classes I think.

Thanks for your help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!