Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

When computer shuts down, I can't turn it back on

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Feb-2012, 05:38 PM #1
Exclamation When computer shuts down, I can't turn it back on
Hey everyone, I'm having some hardware issues.

If I shut my computer down, I can't boot it up again until I turn the power supply off and the red power light on the motherboard turns off. After that I can get into Windows and not experience any problems. Restarting is fine, as well as leaving the computer in sleep mode.

I know it's not my case's power button, because it functions as it should and I already plugged the wire in and out from the motherboard. As for the power supply, I ran a test by running Crysis (heh) and my computer didn't shut off or anything. I'm not confident that the PSU is not part of the problem though.

What could I do to fix this? I don't understand much about computers, it was actually my friend who help me set this build up, so I would really appreciate the help!

My setup:

- ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
- CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750
- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
- Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz
- Windows 7 64-Bit
Member with 3,933 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Feb-2012, 06:32 PM #2
I've seen this several times. Faulty power supply.
Member with 3 posts.

17-Feb-2012, 07:01 PM #3
Could I take my build to a tech shop and have them do a test on the power supply and confirm it without having to replace the unit? Or would I have to buy a new one to see?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,417 posts.

18-Feb-2012, 11:08 AM #4
Of course then can test it, but they may want to charge you a bit for that. Can you borrow a PSU from another computer?
Member with 3 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 07:00 PM #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It seems like it was the power supply. Suddenly half of my memory stopped showing up and when I took the case apart noticed there's white goop all over the PSU. Maybe even blown capacitors. Hardware didn't make any sound though.

Took it to a repair shop and now they're doing a diagnostic. I'm pretty much freaking out right now. How big are the chances my whole computer is unusuable now?

When I last shut it down, it seemed okay, besides for missing half of my RAM. And the old hard drive (8 years) had pink goop under it, but that could have been there for years, I guess.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,417 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 09:18 PM #6
There's a chance some or all the hardware could have damaged if a power supply failure badly, but generally if a PSU fails it doesn't take out the rest.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot, motherboard, power supply, turn off, turn on

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!