Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Poweredge 2950 RAM upgrade, which slots ?

(!)

Member with 97 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Feb-2012, 08:57 AM #1
Dell Poweredge 2950 RAM upgrade, which slots ?
I have been roped into upgrading a Dell Poweredge 2950 by adding a couple of RAM DIMMs, only having ever played with PC's before I downloaded the manual and all appears straightforward apart from the memory slots.

The memory module sockets are divided into two equal branches (0 and 1). Each branch consists of two
channels:

Channel 0 and channel 1 are in branch 0.
Channel 2 and channel 3 are in branch 1.

Channel 0 contains DIMM_1, DIMM_5.
Channel 1 contains DIMM _2, DIMM_6.
Channel 2 contains DIMM_3, DIMM_7.
Channel 3 contains DIMM _4, DIMM _8.
Each channel consists of two DIMM sockets:

Apparently the server has 2 x DIMMs already fitted, but I don't know where, all fun. So where to fit the additional RAM ?, My guess would be to fit it in the unused branch thinking it will maximize RAM bandwidth, but that's only a guess, can anyone advise ? Also anything else I need to change eg in the BIOS or is it pretty much plug and play ?

Cheers

Lentil
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

18-Feb-2012, 09:51 AM #2
There should already be RAM installed in the DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 slots if configured according to instructions in the manual. It looks like you will want to install the new RAM in slots DIMM_3 and DIMM_4. You should not need to change anything in the BIOS.
Member with 97 posts.

18-Feb-2012, 09:54 AM #3
Thanks for that, this is in a league above what I have done before, I appreciate the help
Member with 97 posts.

19-Feb-2012, 06:17 AM #4
Anything else I should look out for ?, got the whole thing about ant-static, removing the cooling shroud and waiting for the memory to cool ...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!