Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Formatted HDD from NTSF to Fat32 and something went wrong.

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

19-Feb-2012, 11:42 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Formatted HDD from NTSF to Fat32 and something went wrong.
I used Fat32Formatter on an external hard drive in an attempt to change it from NTFS to Fat32. I've done this before successfully. When I pulled up the program I wasn't sure what I did before, but there are only three buttons and the program says instructions aren't necessary (which is a lie... not everyone knows what they're doing).

Anyway, I think I clicked Initalize drive. I had removed everything from the drive before starting. I clicked the not allocated part, then clicked start.

For some reason it didn't work (was still NTFS). So I try again. It says Fat32 now, but I can't delete any of the things it put on there. I thought it would delete it if I reformatted it, so I did, and I made the problem worse. I can't move, delete, or rename any of the files.

I'm using Windows 7. The harddrive is a WD 2 TB, but is really like 1.8 TB of free space. Help!

Site I got program from:
http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html

What it looks like:
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...13/Capture.png
There are also folders with names that look like those symbols.

On the bright side, when I go into properties, it does say Fat32.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
20-Feb-2012, 12:15 AM #2
Open Disk Management. Right-click the volume and remove it. Then, create a new, basic one. Then try formatting again.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

or go to Start > Run, and type:

diskmgmt.msc
Member with 2 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 12:32 AM #3
I fixed it! I right clicked the drive from the Computer explorer thing, then format, and changed it back to NTSF. Then, used Fat32Formatter again and instead of initalize I clicked delete, then clicked the not allocated space, then clicked start. Aborted because it was taking forever (was going to check the quick format box) and then it said it was good to go. I tested it and it worked!

Moral to the story: instructions are always necessary. Sometimes people are idiots like me.

Also, thank you for responding Elvandil. I didn't see your post until I figured it out and told everyone.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
20-Feb-2012, 01:41 AM #4
You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
external hard drive, fat32, format, hard drive, ntfs

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!