Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New Build Problems

(!)

Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Feb-2012, 12:25 AM #1
New Build Problems
I'll start with saying that I am somewhat new to building PC's and I am only 15 so I don't have a lot of money to fix my issue.
But here is my dilemma:

About a year ago I got an old Gateway GX7022E computer from a relative that I was planning on fixing up and modifying; which I ended up fixing and using for a while. But because the default case form was a BTX, I couldn't make any serious modifications.

I later decided, on a budget, to buy a new case, PSU, mobo, RAM, and graphics card. However, I stripped the old Pentium D 3.0ghz processor and hard drive from the old Gateway to use in my new build. Since I am new to building computers I figured because the OS and all my old files from the Gateway were on that hard drive, I could just put together all the new components and my new PC would boot up with no problems.

I now know that there is more to that when installing new major components like a motherboard, but now I am completely lost where to begin in getting my PC working with the old hard drive. The hard drive had Windows XP SP3 installed when I took it from the old Gateway computer.

So I am wondering if there is any way that I can get my computer working without having to go buy a new OS. And being my first build can someone also tell me what I have to do during a first time boot.
Thank You
Member with 405 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Feb-2012, 05:54 AM #2
You will need a Windows XP installation disk and the product key from your original installation.
See here: http://supportpcs.co.uk/installcd/winxp.html
Perform a repair installation on your new build from this disk and possibly your pc will then boot, however sometimes a complete format and reinstall is required; I'm not sure if you are allowed to do this as Microsoft will see this as a new computer and therefore should have a new license.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,177 posts.

21-Feb-2012, 10:38 AM #3
Have you read the guide at the top of the hw forum for swapping boards without a reinstall?

You do have another problem here however; you cannot run the oem version of windows on a new mb. OEM type lic live and die with the original hardware ie mb. When you swap boards, the lic is no longer valid.

If you do not want to buy another copy of windows, then you might want to checkout running linux.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

21-Feb-2012, 10:49 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver View Post
You do have another problem here however; you cannot run the oem version of windows on a new mb. OEM type lic live and die with the original hardware ie mb. When you swap boards, the lic is no longer valid.

If you do not want to buy another copy of windows, then you might want to checkout running linux.
M$ is not nearly as picky about that with XP anymore, I just redid a dell pc with with a bad motherboard (replaced with new motherboard, psu, case: same processor, HD) and there was not an issue activating it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,177 posts.

21-Feb-2012, 10:53 AM #5
I am not referring to whether or not you were able to activate, I am referring to the fact that it violates the EULA for oem type lic. As such we cannot give advise on how to circumvent the agreement.
Member with 13 posts.

21-Feb-2012, 03:48 PM #6
Well thank you for the quick reply, I think that im gonna go with stevecook's solution and if that doesn't work then ill try Linux.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Feb-2012, 04:26 PM #7
stevecook's suggestion is a violation of the licensing agreement. Even if it technically works, your install will not be legal, and we can't help you with it.
Member with 13 posts.

21-Feb-2012, 04:36 PM #8
I guess im going with Linux then.
Member with 405 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Feb-2012, 01:18 PM #9
Good luck with the Linux - sorry for the inappropriate advice!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
first boot, hard drive, old computer, operating, system

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!