Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Dell studio 1737 laptop - white screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 61,160 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Feb-2012, 11:14 PM #31
Good for you! I hope that does it!
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

05-Mar-2012, 06:36 PM #32
My New/used lcd screen came and I still have the same results....an all white screen. Does this mean it is the motherboard then?
Computer Specs

05-Mar-2012, 07:35 PM #33
Unfortunately, it certainly appears that way. The video circuitry drives the LCD and the external monitor independently. One can work fine while the other does not. You indicated that the cable did not look damaged, so the main board is highly suspect.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

05-Mar-2012, 08:06 PM #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr3iz View Post
You indicated that the cable did not look damaged, so the main board is highly suspect.
There was not any trauma to the machine and there was not/is not any flickering of the screen when it is moved about (open/closed, side to side now that the screen is unhooked). The cable is firmly seated at both ends. I'm guessing that it means nothing that the screen still turns off when the screen saver/power mode settings have it turning off.

Yeah, yet another HTPC. I'm guessing that it will function fine with out the display attached so I can sell that too. I just need to figure out what to do about the power button that is on the side of the lid.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

10-Mar-2012, 11:07 AM #35
Looking at prices of replacements, the more appealing fixing this one is. I think I am going to order a new lcd cable first ~$10. I don't think anything is wrong with mine, but it it much cheaper than the ~$110 for a new-used motherboard.

On that note, I have never replace a notebook motherboard. Is it that difficult (technical) or is it just a PITA dealing with the smaller parts/tighter fit?
Computer Specs

10-Mar-2012, 11:57 AM #36
Mostly a PITA! Watch for screw sizes and locations. I often take photos or draw diagrams for screw locations and place the actual screws on the drawing. Go slowly and carefully!
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

13-Mar-2012, 09:05 AM #37
Finally got around to ordering a new lcd cable of ebay for $10. As stated, I highly doubt it is the problem, but once I resell it, it will have only cost me a few $$.
Computer Specs

13-Mar-2012, 01:07 PM #38
Cheap enough to try. Good luck!
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

18-Mar-2012, 09:05 PM #39
Not the cable.....

Off to scrounge ebay for motherboards.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

31-Mar-2012, 08:45 PM #40
This apparently is not a huge priority for me, just got around to ordering a used motherboard off ebay for $105 shipped.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

06-Apr-2012, 09:39 PM #41
Motherboard got here a few days ago, finally getting around to swapping them out. I don't think the motherboard alone would have been that bad, but I also had the screen in pieces from testing that out also. So far the screen is back together and the motherboard is in. Now I just have to put stuff back on the MB (processor, heat sink, hard drive) then I can test it. After that I have a bunch of wire to feed through (wireless antennas + power +) then putting the cosmetics stuff on after that.

If it works, i'm definitely going for the back-lit keyboard, but I doubt I will get it all done this weekend with it being Easter and all, but hopefully far enough to test.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,048 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Apr-2012, 10:52 PM #42
I'm still watching your topic, good luck with the new motherboard.
Computer Specs

06-Apr-2012, 11:18 PM #43
Keep us posted!
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

08-Apr-2012, 03:04 PM #44
Thanks for the replies, I was wondering if anyone was still interested or just reading a new post! I got everything (preliminarily) hooked back up. I have no idea where my thermal paste went to, i think I i will have to order more so I just put the cpu and heatsink back on with the old stuff which was good enough to test with.

Fired it up and what do you know, video displayed on my screen!!! I got lucky, there is a set of step by step walk through videos for everything that I've had to do. It saved a lot of frustration. Also, as mentioned before, label your screws (stop thinking dirty). I took the box that my mb came in, some tape and a sharpie. Not the most technically advanced method, but it worked.

Anyway, still have some finishing touches left (wireless card/cables, thrermopaste when I get it, the bottom cover and of course the much anticipated backlit keyboard) but that pretty much finishes this project.

Oh yeah, also have to try to sell the extra stuff on ebay so I can get some my money back.

Edit:
I thought I would throw in the money spent situation as well. All items were bought on ebay.
LCD screen = $35. Not needed, I think I could sell it for $80 as most are that much or more.
video cable = $10. I'll hopefully sell it for a little less and be out $4 for shipping
motherboard= $105 I'm going to try to sell my as non working, I saw an auction with bids of $20 plus shipping.

So, if I sell nothing i am out $150 at most, plus a bunch of time but had fun (kind of) and learn that laptops are not too hard...if i sell it all I can hope to be under $50 in total costs.

Next up, I have a laptop that went flying in a domestic dispute (not mine). It looks like it has a cracked lcd, a few missing cosmetic pieces and a usb ports on the right side that don't work, but it was free to me and only about a year old.

Last edited by Zuggel; 08-Apr-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: added $$$
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2012, 05:31 PM #45
Great news, Zuggel! I was afraid it would come down to the most expensive part. Murphy strikes again! ;-)

Marking the box is a clever idea! I've drawn crude (not rude!) diagrams to identify the screw locations, I've also photographed the board and marked it up. Whatever works for you, as long as you get them in the right places. Some are slightly longer than others and getting them wrong could be the difference between short circuiting something and not having enough threads in a hole, or too short to catch any part of the threads!

You can mark the tread "Solved" by clicking the box near your original post.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dell, laptop monitor, studio 1737, white screen

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!