Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How To Overclock RAM (And Does It Work)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 170 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Feb-2012, 03:07 PM #1
How To Overclock RAM (And Does It Work)
So I only have 1.5 GB of RAM, and for the time I don't have the money to buy another half GB, so I am interested in overclocking. What steps should I take. I have DD3 RAM I believe, if that helps. I need to play games that require at the minimum 2 GB. What program should I download? Do I need one? I read somewhere that you can just play around in the settings. My computer is home built, so it doesn't have the same issues Dell does with overclocking. I can post my specs if needed.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,158 posts.

29-Feb-2012, 05:15 PM #2
Well yes, we need your exact specs. Next
Quote:
I need to play games that require at the minimum 2 GB
When game makers release minimum requirements, it is just that the very minimum you can use. If the game needs 2gig, then you are not really going to get it to run decently unless you meet or exceed the requirements.

Do remember there is NO safe overclock. Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace. If you cannot afford to increase your ram to min specs, then I would NOT advise you to overclock since you might be replacing ALL of the ram.
Computer Specs
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Feb-2012, 06:48 PM #3
If it is DDR3, then you could upgrade to 4Gb for about $20 or less. And it also depends on what type of computer you have to be able to overclock. What type of computer is it, and what are the exact specs? And like he said above, no overlclock is really safe, you may end up having ruined a computer if you go that route.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,594 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Feb-2012, 07:09 PM #4
Just to be clear, overclocking does NOT increase the amount of RAM, it can only be used to increase the speed at which a component runs at.

The only way to increase the amount of RAM is to actually buy more RAM and install it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
overclocking, ram

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!