Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My Computer's Hard Drive Seems To Be Giving Out...

(!)

LamiaMaeve LamiaMaeve is offline LamiaMaeve has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Mar-2012, 07:22 PM #1
Unhappy My Computer's Hard Drive Seems To Be Giving Out...
Okay, to begin. I have a Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6091. I had heard after I bought the computer that it had an overheating problem. It became apparently clear to me that this was true when the computer began blue screening and shutting down. So I decided to be more careful with the computer, I wouldn't leave it on for long, I only placed it on tables and other hard surfaces, and I lowered the energy settings. I thought that this had worked until a few days ago when a slew of error messages began popping up on my screen. To begin with a lovely error message that read: "Windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk." Then I got locked out of my cd drive and it wouldn't open. THEN I opened my C: drive to find (for the first time) a new folder entitled: 069a303672da7fdf5d3dbab42a0532 . So like any normal person who knows next to nothing about computers, I turned off the laptop, unplugged it, and took out the battery for about 10 minutes. When I put everything back together and started it up again it asked if I wanted to start windows normally, to which I clicked "Start windows normally" and it came up with another message, white text on black background it read: "Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is TI105984WOB." It checked the disk then restarted itself. After 10 minutes of waiting the windows 7 profile log in screen came up. I logged in and the screen went pure white for about 5 minutes. Now its back up. I've gotten the original error message about 3 times in the past hour and a half. I guess my question is what on earth is going on with my laptop? How can I fix it? Will it be obscenely expensive? And finally, is it truly the hard drive? Help me please...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II P940 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3835 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 597807 MB, Free - 447805 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NWQAE
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,247 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2012, 08:28 PM #2
Did you buy it new? How old is it?

Go to "Device Manager" and expand the "Disk Drives" section, it should tell you what the male and model of the hard drive is.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

07-Mar-2012, 01:51 AM #3
Since its a laptop harddrives are very easy to remove.If you dont feel comfortable taking out the drive yourself have someone who knows how to pull the drive. You will then see what kind it is by the pins either SATA or IDE and what model it is such as western digital, seagate, etc. Replacing a hard drive isnt that expensive compared to say replacing a motherboard.
LamiaMaeve LamiaMaeve is offline LamiaMaeve has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Mar-2012, 04:57 AM #4
Its only about seven months old. and the drive is a Toshiba MK6465GSX ATA.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,247 posts.

07-Mar-2012, 09:26 AM #5
It's under the Toshiba warranty, you can have Toshiba troubleshoot the system and have it repaired for you, including replacing the hard drive if its faulty.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
c: drive, hard drive, hardware malfunction, toshiba, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!